Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
HI could someone please help me with my 3 month old bunny. He has wryly neck. I did a lot of research online and these are some of the meds said it could help cocci medication baytril ivermectin piperzine thank you
Wry neck in rabbits is caused by a tiny parasitic organism called Encephalitozoon cuniculi. It infects other parts of the rabbit's body, but wry neck happens when the organism infects the rabbit's brain. Rabbits have an ability to wall off infections; it is thought that this organism develops pockets in the rabbit's brain where it basically sits, like a ticking time bomb, until some stress knocks the rabbit's immune system down a bit and the microorganism gets enough of an advantage that the rabbit starts showing symptoms. The medications mentioned kill the parasite, but whether the rabbit recovers depends on how badly affected it was. Some rabbits may have an episode and recover without treatment, some may wind up with a permanent tilt to their heads, some have several episodes with complete or partial recovery, and some rabbits die no matter what you do. But if you've been doing research, you have read all of this and more; you know this has nothing to do with diet or vitamin deficiencies; it would be nice if it did. We used to believe it was caused by an inner-ear infection, but now, we know it isn't that, either.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Why is it called wry neck then? That is really confusing for people who learned about wry neck on chickens.
Wellll . . . . .

idunno.gif

The head tilt is often the first symptom anyone notices; some rabbits may just look like this, and stagger around a bit, others roll uncontrollably. As I said, some rabbits may recover spontaneously, only to have a relapse the next time the weather gets hot or someone forgets to fill their water bottle.

We raise rabbits for meat....and some of them have become pets. Do NOT use Flemish Giants as a meat producing rabbit. Their size makes them very inefficient as meat rabbits. Californians, New Zealands and quite a few other breeds will work much better for you. We raise French Cream D'Argents primarily because they all look alike with lovely, lovely coats. That way it's hard to get attached to any one rabbit. They are born black and roan out to a lovely silvery, gray with black points.

Wry neck in rabbits is caused by a tiny parasitic organism called Encephalitozoon cuniculi. It infects other parts of the rabbit's body, but wry neck happens when the organism infects the rabbit's brain. Rabbits have an ability to wall off infections; it is thought that this organism develops pockets in the rabbit's brain where it basically sits, like a ticking time bomb, until some stress knocks the rabbit's immune system down a bit and the microorganism gets enough of an advantage that the rabbit starts showing symptoms. The medications mentioned kill the parasite, but whether the rabbit recovers depends on how badly affected it was. Some rabbits may have an episode and recover without treatment, some may wind up with a permanent tilt to their heads, some have several episodes with complete or partial recovery, and some rabbits die no matter what you do. But if you've been doing research, you have read all of this and more; you know this has nothing to do with diet or vitamin deficiencies; it would be nice if it did. We used to believe it was caused by an inner-ear infection, but now, we know it isn't that, either.:idunno  
[/quote yes I have read a lot about it. I would like to try one of the meds I just don't know which and how much to give him ( I think) any advice please

Dianne

I've actually been *thinking* of getting some rabbits for meat reasons..but not even sure where to start.  I mean...we could go to the pet store, but I don't know where the get their animals from...so that thought isnt sitting too well with me.

I guess it's another excuse to surf Google.

Go to some rabbit shows. People are selling and sometimes giving away their culls. If all you want is meat rabbits who cares if it is a cull. We purchase a lot of culls because we raise rabbits for their meat and fur.

Wellll . . . . .

idunno.gif

The head tilt is often the first symptom anyone notices; some rabbits may just look like this, and stagger around a bit, others roll uncontrollably. As I said, some rabbits may recover spontaneously, only to have a relapse the next time the weather gets hot or someone forgets to fill their water bottle.

lol, I had a silkie do the exact same thing. But with birds it is mostly from vitamin deficiency but I guess some are caused by a parasite.

Go to some rabbit shows. People are selling and sometimes giving away their culls. If all you want is meat rabbits who cares if it is a cull. We purchase a lot of culls because we raise rabbits for their meat and fur.

I know a man that lives close to me that raises meat rabbits and sells out of state. He has so many rabbits he keeps them in two greenhouses and dresses them hisself. Of course I would recommend getting into a heritage breed and starting with a good registered line but that is just my preference, again they are just for meet but it is also important to keep quality and standards.

​I know a man that lives close to me that raises meat rabbits and sells out of state. He has so many rabbits he keeps them in two greenhouses and dresses them hisself. Of course I would recommend getting into a heritage breed and starting with a good registered line but that is just my preference, again they are just for meet but it is also important to keep quality and standards.

We breed and cross breed for fur colors. We process our own rabbits. The meat goes in the freezer and the hides go to a tannery. We use the hides for the wifes business.
So pure strains are not really a huge factor in our rabbitry. We acquire culls and either butcher them out or breed them for a year or two and then butcher them out. Older rabbits make great "fuzzy chicken soup".

Back
Top Bottom