Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
Lots of does will keep pulling fur for days after the kits come, particularly if the weather is cool. Not to worry - just put it in the nest with the babies. Keep an eye on them to make sure she is feeding them. If she is a first time mom, she may not have a whole lot of milk for the first couple of days, so the kits may not look like they have swallowed golf balls, but they should have some tummies on them. If their tummies start to look slack and empty, she may not be feeding them. 

5 is a pretty good sized litter for a 4-pound rabbit, so while it isn't impossible that she be carrying more, it's pretty unlikely.
This makes me fell a little better... But she is pull from nesting box and making a new nest on opposite side of cage !?!? They were fat this morning so it does look like she is feeding them.

Quote: A rabbit is what is termed an induced ovulator. A doe ripens eggs, and holds them in readiness until she is bred. The act of mating causes the release of a hormone that in turn causes her to release eggs.

The doe has a y-shaped reproductive system with one "horn" dedicated to raising the fetuses that result from the eggs from one ovary. It is possible for a doe to release eggs from one ovary only, conceive on one side only, and get pregnant on the other side if she accepts a buck at a later date. The reason we breed on one day only is to avoid this problem. If the doe is bred on one day only, all babies are due the same day.

A rabbit is what is termed an induced ovulator. A doe ripens eggs, and holds them in readiness until she is bred. The act of mating causes the release of a hormone that in turn causes her to release eggs. 

The doe has a y-shaped reproductive system with one "horn" dedicated to raising the fetuses that result from the eggs from one ovary. It is possible for a doe to release eggs from one ovary only, conceive on one side only, and get pregnant on the other side if she accepts a buck at a later date. The reason we breed on one day only is to avoid this problem. If the doe is bred on one day only, all babies are due the same day.

We only did one day breeding
1f630.png
So im hopping it's all due to weather !! thanks for your help
1f60a.png

Quote: Is this alternate nest she is building the place where she gave birth? If so, can you put the nest box there?

If this silly girl is pulling material out of the box, you may need to remove the box until she settles down. Does can be such dingbats! I have had does that I had to put a wire door on the box to keep them out until feeding time, because they were jumping in and out and in and out and stepping on the kits and injuring them. I prefer to interfere as little as possible, but if the kits are at risk, I do what seems necessary for that particular doe. I hope she settles down soon!

Is this alternate nest she is building the place where she gave birth? If so, can you put the nest box there?

If this silly girl is pulling material out of the box, you may need to remove the box until she settles down. Does can be such dingbats! I have had does that I had to put a wire door on the box to keep them out until feeding time, because they were jumping in and out and in and out and stepping on the kits and injuring them. I prefer to interfere as little as possible, but if the kits are at risk, I do what seems necessary for that particular doe. I hope she settles down soon!

I can't remove due to it being build it... But yes it is in the same spot... I went a checked on her and it seems she hurt one of the babies due to her taken the nest materials
1f622.png
... Not sure what I'm going to do

Well, you could try to block the opening so she can't get in there, or remove the kits (plus enough hay and fur to keep them warm) until the doe's "build fest" is over. Teaching a doe to adapt her instincts to adjust to our expectations can be very frustrating!

Well, you could try to block the opening so she can't get in there, or remove the kits (plus enough hay and fur to keep them warm) until the doe's "build fest" is over. Teaching a doe to adapt her instincts to adjust to our expectations can be very frustrating!

She seems to have calmed down a bit

This is a pic of the crazy ness

With mine to keep warm I used two wash clothes. When fur kept getting removed.she covered them with a towel and washcloths that was hers to chew on. Washcloths that was hers to chew on for them to stay warm.first time around was very hard to keep alive.second time she was a better mother. She learned to take better care of them. I had a kennel for lock down feeding and a box with holes house and lots of towels and two wash clothes.and the heating pad.

Back
Top Bottom