Raccons

saphcat76

Chirping
11 Years
May 24, 2011
We have recently been hit by raccoons. We lost two of our chickens last week, so we reenforced our coop, and thought we were all set. We were hit again last night and lost two of our adolescent chickens. We are SO bummed! Does anyone have suggestions as to how we can deter the raccoons and keep our chickens safe? I'm so afraid that they will discover our other coop and we'll lose all of our chickens. Thank you for any help that you can offer us.

Michele

So sorry,
Fortify, fortify, fortify.
Raccoons are very pernicious. If they have found an easy meal they will be back. I'm currently dealing with the same thing. A daytime raccoon got one of mine last week. It seems to be trap wise. I live in the burbs so no using firearms. I'm coming down to a couple of less desirable solutions.

Imp

Hot flyin' lead seems to do the trick!

Seriously though, get a trap and dispatch them when you catch one. Keep the trap out until you are no longer catching any. I never catch just one. Dispatch them so somebody else doesn't inherit your problems.

We have true backyard chickens too. We don't have guns, and can't use them here anyway. Can I ask what "less desirable" ways you are using? We can trap them, but then I don't know what to do with them!

Back
Top Bottom