Raccoon 2 me 0

I know it sounds rather backwoods but if you get those glass coke bottles, and stuff a few berries in them they make nice live traps. The Raccoons try to grab the berries with their hands but are too stubborn to let go so they basically flop around with a coke bottle arm making a bunch of racket. Then you can go out and snare em or kill them if you like. Just a thought you may want to try, since you said the coon was setting off your traps and not gettting caught.

I so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
,we have already killed 2 coons and 2 possums. Eggs work really well for bait and I have heard that marshmallows work good too. I use this trap (big one) http://www.tractorsupply.com/catch-and-release-live-animal-trap-pack-of-2-5132129 and it works great once its caught its humanly put down. DO NOT RELOCATE !!!!!!!!! It is illegal in most states or it will be somebody else's problem(killing somebodys chickens ect). Even if your coop has more security its best to get rid of the coons, they are very high rabies vectors. The reason why I use the trap above is because we always have cat, dogs,chickes,geese,ect. running around and I don't want them injured/hurt (its safe)

I'm not a bad person but when it come to predators killing livestock one has to go and its not the livestock.

again i'm so sorry for your loss, i know how you feel
hugs.gif

We caught 2 last night and dispatched them. Will set the traps again tonight. Trust me I hate killing them but I have a duty to protect mine. They didnt ask to come live with me. I brought them here so I have to protect them at all cost. This is the first time in 3 years that I have had a problem. I have been lucky. My chickens are my pets too besides providing me with eggs. They are learning tool for the schools around here that kids that normally wouldnt get to ever see a live chicken gets to see mine. If I sit by and do nothing all of that stops. Like the other poster said they will find a way. I thought my coops were secure. I was wrong. If the found a place I missed they will find another given enough time. If you had small dogs or cats outside and coons got them wouldnt you do something? No difference. So I am sorry if I have offened some but the ones that have dealt with this issue before me will understand and maybe help me to rectify this problem in the best way possible. For now I will check daily for any way possible for them to get in and take care of it and I will keep trapping.
GOOD FOR YOU I don't like killing ether but you have to protect what you have.

I will give you an answer for the why? Simple...there is never only one, it will keep coming back which means more opportunity for it to find a weak spot and the way coons populate you could trap 50 and there will still be plenty to go around. I know this from experience having spent many nights shooting them for a friend...they just kept coming and killing. They went as far as to rip away piece of board to squeeze in, chewing through and ripping apart wire, latches must be coon proof because they have the dexterity of a human and can open latches with amazing speed and they are strong determined blood thirsty critters They destroy food stores and many of them carry rabies not to mention the external pests. For rodent control there are snakes, cats, bobcats, fox and even coyotes to name a few and traps for rodents so the coons are not irreplaceable if 100 were taken because they are too far removed from endangered.

I think those are enough reasons for trapping it...if you think I need more reasons, I can post plenty of pictures of their destruction to both coops and chickens. By the way...I stopped counting at 36 I killed for her and she had trapped at least 20 herself. While I am an animal lover, my chickens are mine not a meal for predators and this woman will shoot. :)
How come you can't secure your chickens so that these predator are not an issue? Snakes, bobcats, fox and coyotes are hunted just as much as raccoons and opossums. There is no mid-range predator that isn't hunted heavily, except for those that are federally protected. All mammals can get rabies, none are carriers, they all die from it. All wild animal carry internal parasites, raccoon no more so than others. There are many more kinds of rodents than what is seen around barns. There are deer mice, voles and many other that you will hardly ever see or be able to trap. Rodent in general are considered a reservoir species. They harbor such deceases as tick fevers, Lyme's deceases, bobcat fever of domestic and wild cats, huntavirus, a type of bacterial that when having infected a human seem to causes an autoimmune responce that may be the trigger that leads to arthritis, and so on down a long list of troublesome problem associated with rodents. With all mid-range predator populations being constantly knocked down, this allows the reservoir to steadily grow. The bigger the reservoir, the more exposure to all surrounding people and animals. You are not doing yourself or those around you a favor by constantly kill these animal. If you truly don't want predators after your chicken, make it so they are unable to do so.

in the spirit of protecting what you have... i heard that if you get that fly bait and add it to a tomatoe or anything for the raccoons to eat... they drop dead. i havent had problems with them but someone once told me about that.

I called our local DNR about removing raccoons - he said nuisance coons can be killed by the homeowner out of season, but the fur/meat cannot be used, they must be buried. Be careful that your local DNR gives your permission to use any fur/meat. In reply to the poster who didn't like killing the coon - the coon doesn't have a problem killing the chickens, or maiming them. We had a chick tonight that a coon had pulled it's leg off, out of a cage we thought was secure. The chick had to be destroyed, as will the coon (we caught it when it returned, an hour later). Part of the problem is, we have removed predators that would have kept the coons in check. Also, furs are generally not profitable, and coon populations seem to have exploded since trapping stopped. Years ago, I raised some baby coons, and they were adorable. After seeing what they do to chickens, I remove any that threaten my animals, without feeling guilty - the coons don't feel guilty!!

I understand what the poster is saying about killing the coons and really I have alot of guilt about doing it but I have to protect my chickens. I really thought my coops were preditor proof. I havent had any problems for 3 years. As for the rodent problem, I have plenty of mice around here that they could eat but guess they arent as easy to catch as sleeping chickens. I would gladly let them take all the mice they want. I would never kill an animal for no reason. I have had to put down sick or deformed chicks that wouldnt make it or had a dog put down that was suffering. This is the first time we have ever had to take the life of an animal and I will tell you it isnt easy, but what other choice do I have when She ripped the hardware cloth off the window to gain access. It was put on very well or so I thought. If there was another way I would gladly take it. My only other choice would be to rehome my chickens and ducks and most of them I hatched out myself and couldnt do that. These poor little chickens didnt stand a chance. They were locked up in a coop in the dark where they couldnt see very well to be snatched out of sleep by a raccoon tearing them apart. I know that is the way of nature but if I can help it not my chickens. What about people who have them destroyed because they get into their attics and cause damage. To me that would be for no reason but I dont put them down because of it. I dont know, Im sorry that this thread has caused bad feelings. I am just emotional about loosing 2 of my chickens and dont want to lose anymore.

I understand completely. A raccoon got another one of my bantam crochins last night (early morning). That 's a total of 2 bantams, 5 brahams, 2 polish. This last one he pulled right through the wire, piece by piece. I am borrowing my brother's live trap to see if I can catch it; that is unless I find its hole first.

The raccoon is part of the food chain and she's doing her job trying to get food for her babies. I am part the food chain as well , and MY job is to keep MY babies safe. I keep two Duke DP's set just behind the coop at all times. Coon stays in the woods and hunts, she lives; coon comes to the coop to hunt, she dies. End of story.
Newbie here,what is a Duke DP? Also, has any one had experience with Night guard protection units? If so, what are your thoughts and advise on using these?

Let me just start by saying that I think raccoons are one of the most adorable creatures out there! Those little bandit faces....too darn cute.

But that is what they are....bandits. And smart ones. If they have found an easy source of food, they WILL come back. Heck, people are the same way for that matter, otherwise, fast food chains wouldn't be so popular...it sure isn't because the food is good! Anyway, whether the chickens are pets or a source of income, or both, ANYTHING that is a threat to them needs to be removed. Since it is illegal to re-home them somewhere else (nor very ethical to just drop your problems onto some other unsuspecting person), it seems that killing them is the only method left. I too, am not for sense less killing of any animal for any reason. But I don't consider protecting my own as senseless....in fact, I would consider that senseFUL.

But that is just my $.02.
I understand what the poster is saying about killing the coons and really I have alot of guilt about doing it but I have to protect my chickens. I really thought my coops were preditor proof. I havent had any problems for 3 years. As for the rodent problem, I have plenty of mice around here that they could eat but guess they arent as easy to catch as sleeping chickens. I would gladly let them take all the mice they want. I would never kill an animal for no reason. I have had to put down sick or deformed chicks that wouldnt make it or had a dog put down that was suffering. This is the first time we have ever had to take the life of an animal and I will tell you it isnt easy, but what other choice do I have when She ripped the hardware cloth off the window to gain access. It was put on very well or so I thought. If there was another way I would gladly take it. My only other choice would be to rehome my chickens and ducks and most of them I hatched out myself and couldnt do that. These poor little chickens didnt stand a chance. They were locked up in a coop in the dark where they couldnt see very well to be snatched out of sleep by a raccoon tearing them apart. I know that is the way of nature but if I can help it not my chickens. What about people who have them destroyed because they get into their attics and cause damage. To me that would be for no reason but I dont put them down because of it. I dont know, Im sorry that this thread has caused bad feelings. I am just emotional about loosing 2 of my chickens and dont want to lose anymore.
I don't know if raccoons will chew wires like squirrels will or not, but, a local family lost their house last year when a squirrel got into the attic and chewed wires causing a house fire. 2 dogs and a cat were lost in that fire. Thankfully, no human lives were lost (there were 3 children in the house at the time). So, if a raccoon or squirrel were in my attic or cellar, yes, they would have to go as well. My children's lives are more valuable to me than that of any animal.

Back
Top Bottom