Raccoon attack- kills 7!!

I just went through 5 different raccoon attacks to the tune of losing 18 of our girls over a 3 week period. He broke the window out of the aluminum door, tore fencing off, broke a latch and more. I kept tightening and new latches, you name it I tightened it. I put electric fence around the bottom and he climbed on the roof from an overhanging tree. Finally took trapping him to end the morning bloody misery.

I just went through raccoon attacks this week, and lost 4 hens. It was very sad and I know what you are going through. After the attack we started putting the chickens in large dog crates with a door on the front that locks. We set box traps and on the second night caught the raccoon, one of our friends relocated him near some state game lands about 25-30miles from our house. We have continued to put the chickens in the dog crates each night for their protection, they aren't very happy about going in them but I know it keeps them safe and that is what matters. I baited the box trap with wet cat food and peanut butter. I am still putting the trap out just in case the raccoon had any friends with it, but haven't caught anything else. Good luck with getting rid of the raccoons.

I am so sorry for your loss. I just lost 2 EE's to a feral dog and can't even imagine losing 7! I like the trap idea.

A couple years ago, I was having trouble with feral cats so I got a trap and would cover it with a towel and put a can of cat food inside. I caught 3 raccoons (and all the cats) that way. Haven't seen a raccoon or feral cat around here since.

I am so sorry for your loss!!! You need to use Hardware Cloth. Not chicken wire!!! That's how I lost my chickens. (story below)

Exactly 2 years ago in the summer of 2008 I lost over 11 out of my 20 chickens to stupid raccoons. I bet it was a momma with babies because when some friends about 2 weeks later climbed up in the hayloft they found 9 out of the 11 chickens killed rotting up there. Oh was I ever mad!!!!
somad.gif
I was doing the mad wet hen dance & swearing that I'd get even with those dumb coons and wear one if it was the last thing I do. Took 11 chickens in 2 nights and only took two to eat. Wasteful creatures. I can understand Vultures but Raccoons!!!
rant.gif

But ever since my friends helped me rebuild my coop completly I haven't lost a single chicken except to sickness.
smile.png
Plus it helps to have this.

A great big Great Pyreneese!!
big_smile.png
Who won't tolerate any critters that do not belong here!
clap.gif

3579_koda_is_cute.jpg

Last edited:
Once that coon knows there is an easy meal in there it is almost impossible to keep him out. They are smart, will naw threw just about anything, and learn how to negotiate electric wires. If you have a trap you "might" catch him. But it is not as easy as one would think. 4 love has the perfect solution but the dog must be out there all night. It may sound cruel but I deal with all predetors the same way. My trusty .22. A cooler, lawn chair, and light, in the field next to the coop and it is usually over in one night. First 2 hrs of night or the last 2hrs before daylight.

Can raccoons scale the side of the coop? The only place they may be able to access my coop is up in the eaves, 8-10 ft up. I have them covered with chicken wire. The rest of the coop is tight as Fort Knox.

Tiss that is one of the places mine got in. They came in off the roof in through the eaves that are now blocked with hadware cloth.

After 3 weeks of tightening every spot top, bottoms, and side, I awoke this morning to muddy raccoon prints all over the coop, doors, window, etc. They were not able to get in. Girls all came out alive and happy as was I. Wish I had done it all in the beginning and not cut corners anyplace or given the raccoon enough credit for his talents of entering.

Back
Top Bottom