Raccoon Attack last night.... Big one...

Well, I JUST had a break in. Luckily, I was outside when it happened. Also very luckily, none of my birds were harmed. A skunk got into my run somehow. I think I know how, though. I found a part of the fence I think it got under.
Oh, I don't think I want a Skunk!
I rarely use a cage trap for this reason, I surely wouldn't want a Skunk and every once in a while, I get a Stinky Possum, so I switched to dog proof traps. I. DO. NOT. LIKE. STINKING. POSSUMS!😝

Oh, I don't think I want a Skunk!
I rarely use a cage trap for this reason, I surely wouldn't want a Skunk and every once in a while, I get a Stinky Possum, so I switched to dog proof traps. I. DO. NOT. LIKE. STINKING. POSSUMS!😝
I was in the run next to this thing who was running around to find a way out and starting to panic, and I'm bracing myself for ALL kinds of bad. It FINALLY made it's way out, and I shut the door as fast as I could. Any other critter (raccoon, fox, possum, etc) and I'd be after it. But I just froze once I saw that tail...

My ducks were awake and didn't even react. I'm like, "Ducks! What is wrong with you?!!!?!" They had very little to say for themselves.

Working on the fence to the chicken yard all morning. Whole situation could have been avoided I would have gone out to close the run earlier. If the run was closed, it couldn't get in.

I suppose I'm lucky to only have to protect my flock from the fox, stoat, and other ferret-like predators, here in Europe. There seem to be a lot of raccoon attacks in the US, and raccoons sound like real wise-guys (to put it politely)! Not to mention the other killers!

I'm sorry for all your losses.

I suppose I'm lucky to only have to protect my flock from the fox, stoat, and other ferret-like predators, here in Europe. There seem to be a lot of raccoon attacks in the US, and raccoons sound like real wise-guys (to put it politely)! Not to mention the other killers!

I'm sorry for all your losses.
I think your Stoat is like our Weasel(s), could be wrong about that. I haven't encountered one yet, but who knows what will happen.

I have Bobcat, Fox (Red and Gray), Bear and Coyote too, not to mention Hawks. I've had Coyote and Fox both snatch a youngster in broad daylight. Haven't seen Bobcat in a while. Bear was around a couple of weeks ago, thankfully along the woods and not up too close.

I think your Stoat is like our Weasel(s), could be wrong about that. I haven't encountered one yet, but who knows what will happen.

I have Bobcat, Fox (Red and Gray), Bear and Coyote too, not to mention Hawks. I've had Coyote and Fox both snatch a youngster in broad daylight. Haven't seen Bobcat in a while. Bear was around a couple of weeks ago, thankfully along the woods and not up too close.
Raccoons are easily the number one killer, besides that we have black bears, mountain lion, Bob cats, coyotes, wolves, weasals (rare), snakes will usually only eat eggs, oh red fox, I'm sure I'm missing something, hawks, bald eagle, um, that sums it up I think but raccoons are the worst. Imagine a 50lb or so cat with hands and super intelligence. It's pretty much a raccoon 🦝.

Stoats are about a foot long and weasels a bit smaller. They can get into coops through the smallest gaps in the construction. Stoats are only small, but they can wip out a small flock.

Back
Top Bottom