Raccoon attack last night..

I fully understand the motive to put the dead raccoon near the dead chicken as a "warning" to other raccoons. Really I do. But, they are not people. They do not understand such messages. All they see is more food. And that is what other critters in the area, such as coyotes, foxes, opossums, etc, see.

Best bet is to bury all remains in a deep hole far from the coop. Then set up some traps around the coop and along any paths the critters may be taking to get to your coop.

Sorry for your loss. *knocks on wood* We've been lucky in that we've had no problems with critters yet.

X2
They don't think the same.
They lose friends all the time.
That said, I think I had a case of raccoon retribution. I lost a couple hens to coons. Set the trap and caught a young coon.
Disposed of it and the next night, coons broke into my cellar and killed all the baby chicks down there.

I've had limited luck in live traps. I think they reach in, grab the bait but don't go all the way in and are able to back out.
I switched to using dog proof leg traps and they are much more effective.

Be prepared. Raccoons don't hibernate but hole up in inclement weather living on fat stores. They have been holed up for months with this brutal winter and are now famished.

Good point on them being starved for food.. Didn't think about the CRAZED motive but thats it. (it seemed a bit more vicious than any coon would do) but the pack of 3+ is strange anyway.. I've personally only seen 2 at most at the same time.

I wouldn't think they'd be traveling in packs (unless it's their offspring..etc) which is probably the case; so i'm going to do my best to end the bloodline this week. 1 per night is the goal .. I'm pretty confident that I'll get at least 1 of them tonight.

I'll keep this post rolling until this is resolved (to some extent) -- so keep checking back because I may be loading some pics on this one.

I have trapped multiple coons many times!! If a spot is good enough for one trap, set two or three. I generally set three DDP traps at every set!!
Good luck!!

David
Oh I know I'll get one in there.. I wish I had more than 1 large trap but I'll just try it for the next few nights and I'm sure I'll round up at least 1 more and hoping the whole family.

Coons around here that I see are usually in groups of 4 or more, have probably only seen a single one once in my life.

I can't use my shotgun, or rifle to kill these coons once I've caught them in the trap; so what's the best method of quickly putting them down?

Last night I had to use a filet knife that I taped onto a 6' piece of PVC pipe I had laying around. I wasn't happy to use this method but it was all I could think of at the time. It took 2 attempts, but after I was sure she was done for i then gave it an hour and went back to remove the body from the coop.

I know they are disease carrying predators but I don't take pleasure in it when it's in their nature ... (I know, I know, it's ridiculous to feel that way towards these scoundrels, but i can't help it)
--so--
Any other ideas for quick, humane deaths for a raccoon (while still in the trap) ??

Back
Top Bottom