Raccoon attacked hen…will she live?

vanessamay

In the Brooder
May 3, 2019
Georgia
Hen was bitten on the right side of her head and it looks like her eye is gone. She’s not very tame so she won’t let me come near her. I’ve tried luring her with some scratch to no avail. Should I chase her down and try and treat it or just let it be?

So sorry!
Get her when she's roosting tonight, unless you can catch her with a long handled fish net during the day. Chasing her is just more stress.
Are you sure that's what happened? Any other possible culprits?
Pictures after you have her will help, and a vet visit would be good if it's possible.
Mary

So sorry!
Get her when she's roosting tonight, unless you can catch her with a long handled fish net during the day. Chasing her is just more stress.
Are you sure that's what happened? Any other possible culprits?
Pictures after you have her will help, and a vet visit would be good if it's possible.
Mary
Thank you for the response! We’ve had some trouble with raccoons lately. The coop was left open by accident one night and they killed two birds. Last night they must’ve figured out how to lift the pop door. One hen was killed and one of the others (our patient) was injured but somehow got out of their grasp.

Back
Top Bottom