Raccoon broke in but left the chickens? Or did it steal from another animal???

I don’t know, I would imagine that a Fisher would eat what ever it wants. I don’t have any perspective on the size of the tracks. They look more like Fisher or squirrel tracks depending on size of the track.
Thanks!! That’s good to know!! Never would have thought of either of those. I can go try to measure the prints. A squirrel could easily fit through the fence. Although from looking it up it seems squirrel prints are a bit longer and have nails? Could it be a weasel? I’ll go try to measure the prints quickly cause I think it’s starting to rain.

Young raccoon or other varmit? Happy with eggs yesterday, tomorrow, maybe chicken?
Mary
Could be young!! And yes that’s what I’m concerned with!! Going to be shutting the pop door at night now and maybe getting locks. Maybe only leaving the run door open too instead of the back or at least throughly checking the coop at night to make sure nothing is hiding. I usually do anyways but sometimes don’t.

First, I would close the pop door at night if it were me. Even with my girls in a tightly enclosed run and later inside e-netting, I still close pop doors.

Maybe for whatever reason it went for the eggs only, could be a juvenile, hard to say. What I would be positive about is, it will be back.

Chickens might not be scared because they were undisturbed while eggs were taken. It it did lift the nest box and a buddy pulled eggs out, they wouldn't spook the chickens either.

Regardless of all that, I see two options:
1) Close every hole you can fit your hand into.
2) Close the pop door every night and add a HASP to the nest box lid.

I would do both, but #2 seems more predator proof if you only choose one. Maybe there are 3-10 other options too :)

I’m not sure if this helps but tried to get some scale on the prints.

Seems like maybe adult and baby? Or front and back paws?

@sealer39

CE6CAE22-B5CD-42D9-9045-53E333BB2D76.jpeg 92E15DA2-1BC3-4BF6-BB8D-8BEEB3F276A9.jpeg 175DF615-7759-41BE-9863-3537BDDC2AC9.jpeg 8DDD2C61-5307-4876-9DD6-15A245A4F1DC.jpeg CEDA3E3D-8B69-4F13-837E-FF37AA968098.jpeg FF76748C-9CB2-4685-A889-CA22A63E826A.jpeg 4DB8F422-8D79-4CAE-92A7-CFD7B70ADBDF.jpeg 151E1AC1-0BA6-48C1-88E0-32EA2AB3F24B.jpeg 7B7FEFE8-AC28-4151-8A1C-CD04F8BCDBA3.jpeg 97B77468-4A76-48BC-B4D2-3583FAC26261.jpeg

First, I would close the pop door at night if it were me. Even with my girls in a tightly enclosed run and later inside e-netting, I still close pop doors.

Maybe for whatever reason it went for the eggs only, could be a juvenile, hard to say. What I would be positive about is, it will be back.

Chickens might not be scared because they were undisturbed while eggs were taken. It it did lift the nest box and a buddy pulled eggs out, they wouldn't spook the chickens either.

Regardless of all that, I see two options:
1) Close every hole you can fit your hand into.
2) Close the pop door every night and add a HASP to the nest box lid.

I would do both, but #2 seems more predator proof if you only choose one. Maybe there are 3-10 other options too :)
Thank you!! This is very helpful!! I will definitely be doing that!! :)

They’re actually moving to a new coop soon, just need to finish it, but I’ll secure the current one in the meantime and I’ll make sure the new coop is super secure too.

Back
Top Bottom