Raccoon broke in but left the chickens? Or did it steal from another animal???

I don't think the print looks "human" enough to be raccoon, the fingers are too short and the print is just too wide and stubby. I'm actually thinking skunk. A googling I shall go!

ETA: uncertain, inconclusive. A possibility, nothing more. The only skunk prints I can find on line somewhat resemble Kdogg331's prints but I can't state with authority that they are definitely mephitis mephitis (striped skunk).

Last edited:
I don't think the print looks "human" enough to be raccoon, the fingers are too short and the print is just too wide and stubby. I'm actually thinking skunk. A googling I shall go!

ETA: uncertain, inconclusive. A possibility, nothing more. The only skunk prints I can find on line somewhat resemble Kdogg331's prints but I can't state with authority that they are definitely mephitis mephitis (striped skunk).
Thanks!! We do have skunks around although I’m not sure how many. I’m somewhat relieved it doesn’t seem to be a raccoon though because opossums and skunks don’t usually go after the chickens themselves, right? Though of course I still need to trap it probably.

Skunk looks more like a cat print with rounded toe prints instead of long finger like toe prints...just has claw marks past the tips where a cat wouldn't.

Last edited:
Thank you!!! This is extremely helpful!!! I am thinking I am going to have to set up a game cam and maybe a live trap!! Any idea what opossums like for bait?? And wow I had no idea raccoons were so smart!!! I mean, I knew they were smart but to be able to get back out of traps!? :eek: :th

If you have any older or cracked eggs, you could bait with that (You already know that they like them. :) ). Anything smelly (fish, meat that is starting to spoil, fruit that is starting to spoil). Some others that I have heard but have not tried for opossums are apple slices, marshmallows, and bread. I have caught them by accident with dry cat food when trying to catch raccoons. If you have cats in the area, you will want to go with something that doesn't really smell and that cats don't like. A raccoon will also take an egg bait as well as banana slices and marshmallows. I use all 3 of these and have had a lot of luck. (Just in case you have to bait for one sometime.)

I was really surprised that the raccoons got out of the traps! I have never had them do that before. I did catch 2 of our farm cats with the live traps though. :he (Stupid things. LOL!)

If you have any older or cracked eggs, you could bait with that (You already know that they like them. :) ). Anything smelly (fish, meat that is starting to spoil, fruit that is starting to spoil). Some others that I have heard but have not tried for opossums are apple slices, marshmallows, and bread. I have caught them by accident with dry cat food when trying to catch raccoons. If you have cats in the area, you will want to go with something that doesn't really smell and that cats don't like. A raccoon will also take an egg bait as well as banana slices and marshmallows. I use all 3 of these and have had a lot of luck. (Just in case you have to bait for one sometime.)

I was really surprised that the raccoons got out of the traps! I have never had them do that before. I did catch 2 of our farm cats with the live traps though. :he (Stupid things. LOL!)
Thank you!!! I will have to try all of those suggestions!!! We also have a rat problem currently so I wonder if I might accidentally catch some rats? But I will try anyways. Never know what I might find and it can’t hurt to eliminate some predators whether it’s raccoons, opossums, skunks, or even something as small as a rat haha gonna set up the trail cams too I think just to see what I can see or what creeps around at night, etc. I’m curious. Thankfully we don’t really have any cats around at least that I’m aware of. We have one but she stays indoors mostly and also she’s very smart and cautious so definitely not stupid enough to go in a trap lol we did have a few hanging around many years ago before she was spayed but not in years lol

Thanks!! We do have skunks around although I’m not sure how many. I’m somewhat relieved it doesn’t seem to be a raccoon though because opossums and skunks don’t usually go after the chickens themselves, right? Though of course I still need to trap it probably.
Skunks will definitely kill chickens if given the chance. I speak from sad experience on that one.

Skunks will definitely kill chickens if given the chance. I speak from sad experience on that one.
Thanks!! That’s unfortunate but good to know. And sorry you lost some to them. :(

Thankfully all my birds sleep up high in the rafters and I don’t think skunks are agile enough to climb up there? But I know something else could be which is why I’ve been closing the pop door lately too. Hopefully we have no more issues. :fl

Thank you!!! I will have to try all of those suggestions!!! We also have a rat problem currently so I wonder if I might accidentally catch some rats? But I will try anyways. Never know what I might find and it can’t hurt to eliminate some predators whether it’s raccoons, opossums, skunks, or even something as small as a rat haha gonna set up the trail cams too I think just to see what I can see or what creeps around at night, etc. I’m curious. Thankfully we don’t really have any cats around at least that I’m aware of. We have one but she stays indoors mostly and also she’s very smart and cautious so definitely not stupid enough to go in a trap lol we did have a few hanging around many years ago before she was spayed but not in years lol

I have heard that DIY bucket traps work great on mice and rats. I have not had to try it yet as we have enough barn cats to keep the mouse and rat population down.

I have heard that DIY bucket traps work great on mice and rats. I have not had to try it yet as we have enough barn cats to keep the mouse and rat population down.
I’ll have to try that!! We did put poison out like a month or so ago and it’s helping somewhat and is being eaten but still seeing them. I’m wondering if it’s not the chipmunks eating it instead because we haven’t seen any of those in a while.

Soooo I went out to check the chickens today and let them out and I discovered a bunch of empty egg shells on the ground outside the coop, appears to be about 6 eggs with yolk still pretty fresh in some, and what appears to be raccoon prints on top of the nest box??? But I cannot for the life of me figure out how a raccoon would have gotten in!!! Or why they would have left the chickens alone???

Our coop and run is pretty secure and the nest box lid is very very heavy and large and fits pretty snug so I don’t think a raccoon would be able to lift it???

We do leave the pop door open usually but it’s in a chain link run with a 2x4 wire top and a hardware cloth cage around the ramp... no gap big enough for a raccoon to fit through, something smaller maybe but definitely not a raccoon, and there’s no ripped wire or gaps on the top. I checked. Plus there’s plywood over part of the roof.

We have hardware cloth under all the eaves and over the window screens (two small windows). All of that is still intact.

There’s a very small gap under the back door when it closes I guess but again, not big enough for a raccoon, and there’s top and bottom latches so it can’t be pried open either. I suppose it’s possible a raccoon somehow managed to open the latches and get in but both latches???? And also the door was not open which I would have thought it would be if they got in, right? Cause surely they’re not courteous enough to shut the door behind them and relatch it. :lau

I checked them last night and everything was fine and the yolk seemed pretty fresh but not super fresh so it’s possible it happened this morning???

But the chickens also do not seem at all spooked or scared which I would have thought they would be if something was in the coop. Plus a raccoon would have killed them all, right???

Is it possible a raccoon was just watching or happened to be passing by or something and stole the eggs from something else???

Like is it possible that a rat or weasel or even snake stole the eggs and then the raccoon stole the eggs from them????

Or do you think the raccoon did somehow manage to get in??? Wouldn’t it have gotten trapped inside??? This is all such a huge mystery and it’s driving me crazy!!!

For now though I will be closing the pop door at night and maybe putting a lock or something heavy on the nest box lid.

I think I will also set up a game camera. I got a couple for my birthday about a month ago but haven’t used them yet. I’m thinking this is the perfect opportunity.

This mystery is going to drive me bananas though!! :lau

The chickens are all perfectly fine. Just the eggs that were stolen.

Also there were about 4 still in the nest boxes so they must have been laid after I guess.
I caught 2 raccoons in my run. That sucker ran under the gap in my door like u could run under a volleyball net. 2-3" gap like the matrix. I couldn't even slide a fist under the gate but he didn't even slow down.
Might have something to do with the first round I put into him.
One of these times he is going to realize he is tired of eggs and go for something else.
You should set traps and stop it or your chickens will be gone.

Back
Top Bottom