Raccoon broke in but left the chickens? Or did it steal from another animal???

i was ThInking of skull and shoulder size, as determined by the size of hole it could fit through. big Bull raccoons can get pretty big-up to 30 or 40 lbs. That’s nothing to sneeze at.
Neither is the 3 foot long cranky fisher that's pried back the chain link cover you have over your run. And yes, coons are no picnic either. We've had to trap eliminate a few in the past.

We hired a trapper for ours as our flock was just getting too stressed, although the raccoons never touched any of our birds, they were eating all the eggs, and I just don't have what it takes to be able to shoot one. One was dead this morning in the box trap. I hate this. :( Lots of people hate raccoons, but they are engaging, intelligent animals that deserve every chance to live, just like all wildlife.

We hired a trapper for ours as our flock was just getting too stressed, although the raccoons never touched any of our birds, they were eating all the eggs, and I just don't have what it takes to be able to shoot one. One was dead this morning in the box trap. I hate this. :( Lots of people hate raccoons, but they are engaging, intelligent animals that deserve every chance to live, just like all wildlife.
I totally understand that!! I actually think they’re kind of cute. 😂🤣🙈 besides the whole chicken killing thing.

And I think foxes and hawks/BOP are gorgeous, etc.

I don’t understand why predators are so pretty!? 😭

The one thing I really don’t like are coyotes but even those I know are just trying to live. But they’re just way too bold for my liking haha

I totally understand that!! I actually think they’re kind of cute. 😂🤣🙈 besides the whole chicken killing thing.

And I think foxes and hawks/BOP are gorgeous, etc.

I don’t understand why predators are so pretty!? 😭

The one thing I really don’t like are coyotes but even those I know are just trying to live. But they’re just way too bold for my liking haha
We never have a problem with coyotes, though we have 16 acres of woods and four of field Well, I can't say "never"...I mean once in a great while a bird will go missing and never come back and we know that was probably coyote or fox that carried it off. But, beyond that..no. And...they gotta eat too. I love hearing the coyotes in the spring. But this raccoon trapping business is killing me. We have caught three since yesterday morning... two of those during the day. The first one was NOT dead in the trap...just waiting for the inevitable. The third one stopped by the barn first and had a couple eggs as an appetizer. :( He got caught in a dog proof leg trap the trapper is using, and I hate those things. I think they should be illegal too. It's too bad they can't make a trap to instantly and humanely kill a raccoon. I have been sad all day. Sorry, I make a lousy farmer, lol. I just can't stand to see them suffer. Fortunately, this doesn't happen too often, but we had a very mild winter and a big population boom of just about everything this spring.

We never had problems with them before, foxes and hawks and raccoons yes but not coyotes. But now we’ve been seeing them more and lost the three. Weird.

I know they have to eat too but we’re in a more suburban area even though we’re on 2.5 acres. We’re the only ones who are haha we have houses right behind us in the back and the front is townhomes/condos. So it’s a bit concerning the coyotes are so bold because lots of people have little dogs, cats, kids, etc. and they don’t even run. They just stare at you. Idk, they just creep me out. :oops: plus they’re huge here!! Lol

It also really creeps me out to hear them calling and howling at night.

They dont always do it but creeps me out lol

Idk why. :oops:

They’re just the one animal I can’t get on board with hahah

And you’re not a lousy farmer! Lol I am too if you are lol I still cry over chickens 😂🤣🙈

And I hate seeing animals suffer too!!!

Back
Top Bottom