Raccoon dangerous to Geese?

MikeJanet

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 9, 2008
SW Washington
We've had a peaceful 3 years with our hens & waterfoul as far as preditors are concernd. We seen and shot at and coyotees, but haven't seen any sign of raccons in the area until about 2 weeks ago when I discovered and inadverntantly tree'd a raccon that had been eating our poultry feed in the early hours after dark. We had our first loss this morning (a hen) and I'm wondering about the danger to our 3 geese and 3 ducks, who are all enclosed within 5-6' wire fence each night on about 1/3 of an acre, but not shut inside a building. Finding my hen this morning was sad enough, and my husband and I will do our best to eliminate the coon, but in the mean time should I be locking up my waterfoul at night too? The obvious answer is probably yes, but I'd sure like to hear from anyone who's had any goose/raccoon issues.

Also anyone have opinions on daytime dangers from raccoons - as all my hens, ducks and geese freerange over our property each day.

Thanks
Janet

I've lost count of how many racoons ive trapped and gotten rid of, its futile. I dont bother anymore with the traps and instead trust in VERY secure nighttime houseing for all my fowl except my emus, and even them im semi worried about since they are juveniles and only about four feet high or so.

I do have a Donkey (not in same field as fowl) and have not lost any goat kids yet to predators. So its either luck so far or she keeps things away at night.

But do yourself a favor and invest in a secure nighttime sleeping area for the birds, its the only way.

The second thing ive done that has had the biggest impact on stoping predation is removing hideing places, like low lying tree limbs, bushes going all the way to the ground, heavy vines on the fence going all the way to the ground, etc. I lost SEVERAL birds in the middle of the day due to what turns out were bobcats creeping from bush to bush after jumping the fence and grabing birds. Soon as I trimmed everything up and the bobcats had nowhere to hide and would be spotted jumping the fence into a open area with no cover.. they gave up.

So very secure houseing for after dark, and remove exessesive ground cover that daytime predators would use to creep with.

Get rid of them permanently...as many and as often as you can. They really can cause a lot of damage in a very short time. Geese are NOT safe from them. Burro's will not be of any help. They killed one of my silkie hens that was sitting on a nest in a dog house in a pen in the middle of the day yesterday. I shoot them on sight, any and every chance I get. My place is almost like Fort Knox - and they still found a way to get to her.

Joni

I am back down to one goose this time it dug under the fence and got in the pin and killed my gander and one of my females. Im so heartbroken. My one that is left is very lucky I believe my gander protected her until he suffered his fate her eye and face are swollen and she has bite marks on her will post a pic

Im so upset for her she calls for them and looks so lost

Attachments

• 20180911_194220.jpg
    20180911_194220.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 66
We are workimg on that this weekend right now she is safe what antibiotics would you reccomend. I am out of luck until next season to get her a friend only hens is all i have left :(

Shes feeling better swelling down tremendously I have a lady giving me 2 ducks today to keep her company. Roosters go in and peak at her pretty much checking in on her but bugging her at the same time lol

Well I turned down the ducks. I have a gentleman selling me a pair of African geese picking them up tomorrow. Now picking up a chainlink kennel a new pin and electrical fence

Back
Top Bottom