Raccoon dug under electric poultry netting

CypressHouse

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2023
I lost a hen today in broad daylight after a raccoon dug UNDER my electric poultry netting and trapped a hen in the coop.

I’m in Florida and our soil is loose and sandy, it looks like it dug under enough to allow the uncharged bottom strand to hang free, then wiggled underneath before they could be shocked multiple times.

Cost effective ways I can deal with this? I know skirting is an option, but the electrified run is 40x40 and that’s a LOT of skirting. Would thoroughly anchoring the bottom of the fence work? My SO is convinced that chicken wire as skirting would help as a deterrent but I’ve never heard good things about raccoons and chicken wire.

They always get my laying hens, never my extra roosters :/

Agree with traps and a .22 if allowed. Mini marshmallows for the win here. But, hard boiled egg, or nearly empty cat food or tuna fish container can also work.

You cannot relocate an animal without permission. Since raccoons are rabies vectors, if you trap, you need to know how you will get rid of the trapped animal.

If using a live trap, anchor it down and place it between two stakes or against a structure bc raccoons are strong and if given enough room they will twist the trap (making it unuseable) and escape to never get trapped again bc they are smart like that.

If trapping and shooting are not in your plans, then Yes, you will need to invest in skirting. If you will not trap you must exclude.

Agree with traps and a .22 if allowed. Mini marshmallows for the win here. But, hard boiled egg, or nearly empty cat food or tuna fish container can also work.

You cannot relocate an animal without permission. Since raccoons are rabies vectors, if you trap, you need to know how you will get rid of the trapped animal.

If using a live trap, anchor it down and place it between two stakes or against a structure bc raccoons are strong and if given enough room they will twist the trap (making it unuseable) and escape to never get trapped again bc they are smart like that.

If trapping and shooting are not in your plans, then Yes, you will need to invest in skirting. If you will not trap you must exclude.
We ordered some Duke traps we’re baiting with marshmallows and some canned cat food around the rim, and I bought some heavy duty stakes to secure the bottom of the fence. I’m picking up some additional poles as well, as I believe the fence sag is reducing the fence charge due to grounding. We’re going to trap and dispatch, and I’m hoping the fence improvements will be more of a deterrent as well - hard to avoid a zap without the slack in the fence!

I’ll see how this does, I’ve also kept all the chickens in their secure coop run until all this can be done so the raccoons don’t find easy pickings when they come by.

Make sure you keep them set for a while even after you catch one. Usually there is more than one.

Good luck!
I think we’ll always keep them up, move them around the property so whatever finds the coop will hopefully be caught. We have no end to raccoons around here and our property is bordered by a heavily wooded lot, so I want to be proactive.

I have had luck with peanut butter as raccoon bait too.

Be sure that the can or bowl, or whatever the bait is in, is not reachable from outside the trap. In other words, the trap has to be big enough that the raccoon can't reach a paw through and get the bait, that they have to go inside the trap to get it.

I have a coop and run setup that's so secure I've named it "Fort Clux." I don't even bother with the opossums that come by any more unless they become a nuisance in other ways, because I know there's no way in hell those lazy bastards will ever get in there.

I still trap and dispatch any raccoons that come onto the property, because I'm still not 100% sure it'll keep them out. This is because if there's the slightest chance of them getting in sooner or later they will.

I have had luck with peanut butter as raccoon bait too.

Be sure that the can or bowl, or whatever the bait is in, is not reachable from outside the trap. In other words, the trap has to be big enough that the raccoon can't reach a paw through and get the bait, that they have to go inside the trap to get it.
I’m using the Duke paw traps, I’ve heard so many people have issues with the raccoons outsmarting the cage traps or the traps catching unintended things - these were inexpensive, well made and have great reviews. Just set them up tonight so hopefully they’ll be successful!

Back
Top Bottom