Raccoon Hunting Tips?

I use a live trap fearing I'll get someones cat! Also I will put 6" fence either around it, or something to make sure you don't have to deal with a skunk (messy stinky to murder), I use canned tuna for racoon and sardines if I have a stray cat.
Make sure you hold it down with a block, rock or anything that will help stablize it as they will roll that trap over and over again, some older style traps actually had slide rings and as soon as it would turn upside down, the door could open. The newer ones have a lift wire to secure them.
If I question a skunk getting in, say I need to catch a stray cat to send it off to the shelter or in the case now I want to catch a woodchuck (ya sure) cause I can shoot good enough!!!! I'll leave the door free so I can kick the skunk out without getting to severly sprayed.
Oh, BTW, Lever 2000 will remove most of the skunk pee from your body. Use warm not hot water as it will make the shower unbearable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don' t know how it works on dogs, but on my own body, it worked. Good luck.

Quote:
Nope, fire away...The young ones are the worst. When they get kicked outta the nest, they'll be looking for easy meals while they perfect their hunting techniques. Want to see cruel, walk into your pen the first thing in the morning and find your fowl tore apart and scattered around the pen...you'll not look at the "cute little furballs" with any admiration from there on out...good luck with your flock protection....

I'm not going to lose sleep over killing a raccoon when it chooses to show up at my door. The way I figure it, the buzzards and worms gotta eat too!

The circle of life, baby!

If valuing my hens over a raccoon (who may very well be male!) and its fictional babies makes me a bad person, so be it.

I would reccomend getting a shotgun and tree him. Get him at night with a spot light. For the gun. A Remington 870 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch super mag. with lead bird shot.
tongue.png
lol.png

set same bait and wait, but hide lol and try and cover up your smell, they can smell you from a mile off

Last edited:
Well, the point is moot on whether I am a bad person or not. I found my dead raccoon today, so I'm either a chicken savior or an insensitive jackass depending on your perspective. Either way, I'll sleep much better knowing my girls are safe.

Personally, I prefer my bow. My hoyt recurve has leveled every coon I have shot, dropped instantly. No run, no wiggle or flop just skewered dead. I also go for a heart/lung shot when hunting. Best part...no one has ever heard a thing.
gig.gif

I do not blame you for killing it...I will do the same when and if I face that issue. I will not have any critter around that is after my girls or could be. You trap them, take it away and another one shows up. Waste of time when there are more coons and such than you can shake a stick at.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh my gosh my grandfather and I had a pair of those when I was growing up. Fabulous dogs and the most beautiful voices in woods.

My neighbors have lost a lot of chickens and guineas to foxes and bobcats. I just got my flock, and built what I think is a good predator proof setup for them.

That being said, I've got 18 walker foxhounds and a full gun safe and won't hesitate to eliminate any vermin that show up here.

Good job with the coon!

Back
Top Bottom