Raccoon in yard during the 90 degree day time!!!! = / Is it sick???

ragerkid2

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Johnstown Pa
My mom looks out today and she thought there was a tiny turkey up at the corn pile (we have wild turkeys come in at our corn pile many times through out the day) but it wasnt! it was a COON!
ep.gif
Our first thought was save the chickens outside!!!! BUT yes theres a BUT. It didnt bother the chickens, not at all.
woot.gif
I think its sick tho because it shouldn't be coming in the day. It also wasn't afraid of us unless we ran at it. So, I think if its back tommorw, it might have to meet its demise. I feel that its safer for the family, all the other wild animals and the coon itself who would probably suffer.
Any opinions if i'm doing the correct/wrong thing?

If it comes back, dispose of it and call the game warden. The coon is acting like it has rabies. Even if it doesn't come back you might want to report it anyway.

Tell him that you spotted a raccoon in your yard during the day, that it was behaving strangely, and that it didn't run away until you charged it. Those are like the Big Three warning signs for rabies. I agree, there's something very wrong with that raccoon, and it would be best to have it removed by the warden. Rabies is scary stuff; keep clear of the raccoon yourself, and don't let your pets near it!
hmm.png

Definitely shoot it. I would prefer to use a shotgun with a squirrel load. You do NOT want to shoot it in the head. Rabies is a disease of nerve tissue, and the brain and spinal chord contain the disease agent. If all you have is a .22, try for a chest shot.

Kill it. and have it tested for rabies....Coons should not be out in the day time and if it had no interest in your chickens there is something way wrong with it. Most coons will dismantle a chicken on site... so shoot it with what ever you have and aim for the vitals.

Raccoons are typically crepuscular and/or nocturnal but activity during the day is not in and of itself an indicator of disease. I have seen many coons foraging during the daylight hours that were all healthy.
Did the coon vocalize at all while you were harassing it? Was it walking normally or was it uncoordinated? Did it seem lethargic?

If it doesn't act sick being out in the day could also mean - It could have been raised by people until it got too wild to keep in a house as a pet.
rant.gif
Sound like any neighbors??

Back
Top Bottom