Raccoon or Cat???.. or something else...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ASouthernMedic, May 24, 2012.

1. ASouthernMedic

ASouthernMedic Hatching

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm looking for a bit of input... I've read a few posts regarding predators.

This morning my daughter's red silkie went missing.. my husband and I were hoping that maybe it had escaped our fenced yard (6ft privacy fence) and we would find it outside.. after checking the yard and realizing there wasn't any place for her to squeeze through..We've come to except that something snatched her up. We were going back and forth on what it would be.. my husband believes it was a cat, I believe it was a raccoon. Regardless though it scared our other 4 large chickens and silkie into a corner.

Now I may have to believe my husband is correct with it being a cat.. because whatever it was picked the silkie that has the best health.. and after reading posts that a lot of cats aren't really the "hunters" but more the "stalkers".. I guess I am utterly confused.. I have big dogs so I can't see a cat wanting to come in the yard smelling them around. Any help would be great and appreciated..

Sorry for the rambling, I'm just really sick over this and my daughter is torn since she wanted to show this one in 4H next year (it was her pet)..

2. AnimalLover234

AnimalLover234 Chirping

Feb 6, 2012
    Bay City, TX
    I do have a guide to missing chickens/chicks/eggs I can help narrow it down a bit------Now only if I can find it........

3. AnimalLover234

AnimalLover234 Chirping

Feb 6, 2012
    Bay City, TX
    Oh when did it happen? I need that information to I.D. the culprit :)

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    A cat, unless you are talking big, wild cat...would not pick up a chicken and leave with it. Neither would a raccoon. Sounds more like a large hawk or fox....

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    I just reread your post...a fox couldn't get over a 6 ft privacy fence and back again with a chicken in its mouth...I say large bird of prey.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I agree, sounds like a hawk. I assume the area doesn't have a covered top?

I know some people have had cats attack chickens, but with all the strays in my neighborhood I've never lost one to a cat. My chickens are more likely to eat the cat. :p Then again I don't have silkies. My hawk attacks on small chickens were just 'missing chicken', no signs left. (larger chickens would leave a big exploded mess from the dive bomb).

7. AnimalLover234

AnimalLover234 Chirping

Feb 6, 2012
    Bay City, TX
    Predator Identification :
    One Bird Missing

Clues: Likely Time: Predator:
    Ranged bird missing, feathers Dusk or Dawn Fox
    scattered or no clues

A few scattered feathers or Dusk or Dawn Hawk
    no clues

Fence or building torn into,
    feathers scattered Anytime Dog

Ranged bird missing, feathers
    scattered or no clues Dusk or Dawn Cougar,

Catamount,
    Mountain Lion,
    Puma,
    Panther (Rare)

A few feathers scattered or no
    clues Night Owl

Small bird missing, lingering
    musky odor Night Mink

Small bird missing, wings and
    feathers remain Night Domestic Cat

Ranged bird missing, no clues Night Bobcat (Rare)

Sorry if it got all scrambled I can help you if you don't understand :)

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. AnimalLover234

AnimalLover234 Chirping

Feb 6, 2012
    Bay City, TX
    It got scarmbled!! Man I hate it when I spend all my time making a chart and it get's scrambled!! Guess I learned my lesson [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: