Raccoon out in the day and in my willow tree

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by saritastar, May 25, 2010.

1. saritastar

saritastar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Spokane, WA
    I thought they were nocturnal! It was at about 8 this morning. We threw rocks at it and sprayed it with a hose. I left for 20 min. and came back and it was gone.

I just built a chicken tractor (for day use only) and used chicken wire. I figured it was okay since it's just daytime use, but now, the raccoon has found a new hangout. [​IMG] , right over the tractor.

This was a bad idea, wasn't it (chicken wire instead of hardware cloth). Crap. The chicks need to be out during the day and safe. Would a raccoon really go for them in broad daylight? (they don't usually get put out until about 9:30)

2. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I had a raccoon chase my chickens around my yard in broad daylight. We treed him, and then my son bonked him in the head with a rock. The raccoon fell out of the tree screaming, and then high-tailed it off our property. I asked a Naturalist about it, and he said the possibilities were that it was rabid (which he didn't think it was because of the way it was acting) or a juvenile. But I have seen other raccoons out in daylight. Raccoons can get through chicken wire, so you may want to reinforce your tractor. Good luck.

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    While not frequent, I've seen daytime raccoon action in the spring when they had pups to feed. They are very bold and persistent. Your chickens are an easy target. Unfortunately, the chicken wire will not keep the baddies out, but it sounds like you already know that. And realize that when you see one coon, there are probably 10 more that you don't see. Wishing you good luck -

BTW, I grew up in CdA. My folks are still there. So beautiful.

4. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    When I see a nocternal varmint out during daylight I also figure its sick. But this time of year they may also have pups and she needs to eat.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    We used to have some that slept in the top of a dead tree. We could see them up there. I sprayed them with the hose. If you see them walking around in the day, suspect a sick or rabid animal.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    most of the grocery stores here have dumpsters the coons feast in them with trucks arriving all hours of the night and day the coons cannot "get on a schedule" like they can when you go to sleep for the night it is not uncommon to see them here in the daytime fairly frequently I will see 5-10 coon a week ( during daylight hours 6 am -7 pm) and think nothing of it

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:We trapped one during the day, it was acting strange, it was diagnosed with distemper.

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    You should have been throwing lead at it! It will be back and find a way into your tractor and you will be kicking yourself. It is not normal to be out in daylight. Like the others said, it more than likely needed to feed young. Here in Texas, we have to suspect rabies on a sick coon in the daylight but it is usually distemper. If you have any puppies or unvaccinated dogs, it will spread and more than likely kill them. It didn't sound like your coon was sick. Rabid or distemper would not have left.

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    SHoot it. Coons out in the daylight are not always sick, you could just have lucked out in seeing him. A .22LR would do the job.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:most times when coon have distemper they seem drunk it looks like they cannot balance themselves , your last seven words say it all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by