Raccoon problem... HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS HORRIBLE CREATURE.

We had a huge problem with racoons. We live on 7 acres and our back yard runs up to the top of a mountain ridge. Don't want to upset anyone but these things are ruthless to chickens. We talked to several people and the farmers suggested a fly poisin mixed with pepsi/coke. They drink this and usually only travel a few feet before they die. It is a much easier clean up than killing them after you trap them. I had to kill any creature but we had to choose, our chickens....or the racoons...it got that bad. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Wow, I've never heard this one
thumbsup.gif

We had this problem too. We called our state extension service and they gave us the phone number to the county trapper... who worked for the local Animal Control.

I'd suggest looking for your state Extension service's number in the phone book or online. Perhaps call Animal Control... its one of their jobs to take care of animals who are posing a risk to the public and public health. Since Raccoons can often be carriers of rabies, that's one reason to report it to Animal Control. Hope that helps!

Jenn

I've got to join in on this discussion because I too have lost more than 10 chickens to racoons over the past five years. It's simply not true that racoons only come out at night. I lock all of my hens up during the night but my losses to racoons were all in the middle of the day. This summer I heard my chickens squawking loudly and I ran outside, it was noon, and a coon had my Ancona by the throat. It dropped her and ran off once it saw me but she was so badly wounded that we had to kill her. After this I began trapping with a live trap and shooting the racoons. In Oregon you need a permit from the local Fish and Game Dept. to kill racoons. They are generous with giving them out.

I read a few websites about how best to trap from fur trappers. Use marshmallows!! They are white and round...similar to eggs in shape and color and racoons love eggs. Plus racoons love sweets so once they taste a marshmallow they are hooked. Also, put your trap along any game trails that you can find and make sure the trap is flat...not wobbly.

Good luck! I will say that once I caught and killed the four racoons that were killing my hens I've had no trouble since then. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time until they show up again but I'll be ready this time.

I was rasied on a farm, and now live in "town". I must say I do giggle when I see how some people on here react to what seems to me to be good livestock management practices. But then, that is one of the things I find most interesting about this forum, the vast differences in people all brought together by their passion for their birds..

True free range will always result in the loss of birds. If you are passionate about it, do what you can to reduce your losses.

I only let my chickens free range in my backyard when I am home and can keep an eye out for birds of prey. I keep a live trap baited with something more appealing than my flock, I have had success with marshmellows and cat food. I have a hot wire around my run and coop. When I catch a coon or possom, God calls him or her home at the end of my .22. Carcass goes out with the weekly trash pick up.

Has worked thus far for me...a simple country girl, trying to get some eggs.

I just tossed an empty peanut butter jar in my trap.Lets see what I catch.

Nice berry page Keenecowboy! Do you have pictures of your berry farm? I bet a lot of critters get into them in addition to attacking the chickens.You must be fencing out the chickens from the berries.Mine ate currants and grapes with much enthusiasm.

Last edited:
So far not a big problem. My neighbor takes care of the coons who make their close to her pond.
My problem has been the ground hogs, 22 takes care of them. I have to do a late PM vigil to get them.
I have my chickens in an enclosed pasture of about 2 acres, and i need to keep them confined. They will tear up everything.
I converted my horse barn into the coop and have 50 laying hens. 36 G Comets and 14 golden buffs which to me they are the same thing.
We avg 4 doz a day and sell the eggs at our local coop just down the road form us. Right now we are selling just about everything they lay, except what we hold out for ourselves.

2011 was the worst year I can remember for losses from predators to my flock of chickens,ducks.Have lost about 20 chickens,3 ducks to racoons,opposums and avareity of hawks up to about mid September whenI finaly had success with setting live traps with tuna cat food at night.Have caught 8 racoons,2 possoms,1 wild tom cat(whom I know was killing young ckickens) and one skunk.The skunk I set free after it calmed down in the trap as I was talking calmly to it so it did not spray.It put its head on its front paws and looked up at me as if to say(Please let me out).So I released the catch and propped the lid up a couple inches and walked away.Since the end of Oct.I have had no more predator losses to date.

I would buy a live trap and set it after dark when nosy neighbors are not likely to see it. When a coon is caught the easiest way to dispatch it is with a .22 bullet, point blank range. A single shot with a .22 won't make enough noise to attract attention and the gun can be hiddden in the house before any authorities arrive to investigate. If you are worried about the shot being heard a high powered air rifle is even quieter. Just make sure to get one that shoots bigger pellets than .177 caliber. A single .20 or .22 pellet to the head will kill a raccoon almost every time with very little noise. Ideally the chicken coop, trap and gunshot are in a back or side yard where they are not visible from the street. The less the neighbors know the better for everyone. Don't waste the raccoon. The meat is quite tasty.

Back
Top Bottom