Raccoon problem... HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS HORRIBLE CREATURE.

XilverAngel

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
We've already had 2 victims and lost one pullet to that stupid raccoon. How do we get rid of it, any ideas? I can't call animal services, because I've got more than the allowed 6 chickens in my back yard
tongue.png
. But this ugly thing really needs to know it's messing with the wrong chickens. How do I scare it off for good? Is there any way I could injure it and make it know not to come back?

Quote:
They can definitely be made....google "homemade live traps" or "live animal traps"

Also, what ever you catch....DISPATCH it! Don't move it somewhere else for someone else to deal with. You will likely catch both coons and oppossums

Local animal shelter might have one (trap) you could borrow....might be worth asking

If we catch something in the live trap that is being a menance, we put it down. We have problems with ground hogs here, and we actually had one that was so big, it wouldn't fit in our largest trap!

Oh wow, alright then, I guess I will try out a trap then. Hopefully it'll work. Thanks for all the help!

If you are serious about raising chickens then a live trap is a great investment. You can catch possums as well as coons in it and occasional cat too...
smile.png

Do not relocate as they will either find their way back or wreck havoc on someone else's animals...

Drown it by submerging cage and all in water if you can't shoot it...

Do you have someone who can shoot it if you're able to trap it?? I'm assuming since you're only allowed 6 birds that you can't use a firearm where you live. Or can you take it to animal control to dispose of? You might call ahead of time to ask. Keep in mind that there will probably be another to replace it soon enough. Your best line of defense is to shut your chickens inside a secure coop each evening.

Thank you for all the responses! We most likely will have to go the route of drowning the animal or maybe calling animal services to dispose of it, no firearms allowed here (at least if they are, I don't know about it). I will see where I can find a live trap, or if possible, I'll try to make one. Hopefully it'll work. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom