Raccoon problem... HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS HORRIBLE CREATURE.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by XilverAngel, Dec 22, 2011.

1. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:x2 I have raccoons every night b/c my neighbor feeds her outdoor cat. I've seen the prints on my fence. But my coop and run are secure and I've had no problems so far for a year now.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    If you leave your feed out all night, you are inviting him to dine on what ever suits him.

3. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:That's actually a very nice idea... hmm... Let me see where I can borrow one, hehe. Thanks for the response!

4. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    With sub-750 fps I think close shot=point blank. Thus you solve the question of euthanizing.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:you need to check local laws most states consider air rifles firearms

I do pretty good trapping hard during trapping season I do not see preds the rest of the year

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  6. ruffles

ruffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    If you trap the racoon, please b e sure not to get bitten or scratched, many racoons carry rabies.

Sandi

7. Mozelly

Mozelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Lock'em up at night. You can't kill or trap every raccoon,skunk,mink,weasel, opossum,fox,coyote,rat,etc... If you let them run wild your going to lose some. They become part of the food chain.
    Live trapping and then drowning any animal is just plain cruel. With most pellet guns you're just going to have a bloody ticked off coon.

8. Shireshome

Shireshome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:I think you could get into a lot of trouble drowning an animal like that. I wouldn't be against it if the animal was near death and in a lot of pain. But a perfectly healthy animal, that is just too cruel. Surely you could find a different way.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  9. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Yea, the only reason why we haven't decided for a live trap is because we're unsure of the regulations around here, and we don't know if we can actually dispose of this raccoon by drowning it (it could be illegal, I don't know).

10. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

get a live trap and bait it with marshmellows racoons love them and I have many experiences using this technique and always catch them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by