raccoon problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by marvun22, Mar 11, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    i have had a raccoon kill 1 chicken 2 ducks, and injure 1 other chicken. ever since i patched the latest problem with the coop it has left them alone. i am hoping it has no other way in. the raccoon eats my cat food most of the time. my wife is buying a live trap soon. i carry my m9 out every time i go out there at night, but it's only my wife who ever gets a glimpse of that pesky creature. any other advise on how to help will be greatly appreciated.

ps: please do not mention antifreeze and soda, i have some dumb cat or chicken or dog that would end up drinking some.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Live trap and then be certain that they are killed. You don't want to drive them off somewhere to become someone else's problem.

Yup, I've killed a raccoon or two in my day and I never once felt badly about it.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In addition to live-traps I am using two 55-gallon drums, each with a board that raccoon can walk up. A small amount of smelly trash is kept in at all times as bait. Raccoon can get in but not out. This needed for me with trap=wise coon that uses neighbors home as shelter from my dogs. The drum trap is actually cheaper than the live-traps I use.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Though I prefer the old #1079 havahart live traps (think it's model 1089, now), One can pick up 2-3 Duke dogproof traps for the price of one havahart. They are effective. They require a bit of ooomph to set and slightly more upkeep (catch and release is not an option). [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    .22 caliber for rainwater drainage perforations in bottom of drum? hehe Plastic or metal?

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Try this dog and cat proof method to handcuff a raccoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by