raccoon proof run

hardware cloth is simply heavier gauge welded wire, the squares can be 1/4", 1/2",3/4" or 1". Most that you see is 1/2" squares. anything bigger and the Raccoons can can their hands and arms in. Look at my post below this one called "Tractor finished (pic)". In the interior pictures you can see the hardware cloth pretty clearly over the windows.
I have two fasteners on each door. a hook type fastener (screen door hook) but the kind with the little slide that prevents the hook from lifting without sliding the "slide" back first. then I also have another fastener on each door or access panel, either a twist type or as on the egg nest door I have a hasp.
Raccoons are really smart and can figure out most simple latches. I would not use chicken any where on my coop, they can climb and will.
I will be locking my chicks in the tractor at night, my tractor does not have a wire floor on the run part and the bottom boards are about 3" above the ground. so I have some metal lath material that hangs down to the ground, not secure to keep anything out. so they must be locked in the above coop at night.

All you have to do is wire 2 ft chicken wire on the inside of the run, then put dirt on top of the wire, then put cement blocks around the run on the outside. Make sure that you have a chicken wire roof on it so they cant get in from the top. This way you do not have to dig down.

Back
Top Bottom