Raccoon ripped off hen’s leg (almost) HELP!!!

This is really a choice your head must make rather than your heart. Even if you managed to stop the bleeding (and she made it through the shock) infection will set in, and you DON’T want her suffering. Please let us know what decision you made (if you took her to a vet). I’m so sorry that’s happened.😞

Last edited:
This is really a choice your head must make rather than your heart. Even if you managed to stop the bleeding (and she made it through the shock) infection will set in, and you DON’T want her suffering. Please let us know what decision you made (if you took her to a vet). I’m so sorry that’s happened.😞
Thank you for saying what I was thinking and couldn’t put it to words. 🙏❤️

You can try to completely cut the leg off and do the amputation but you could also put her down. Now if you were to do the amputation and get the bleeding to stop and her out of shock - which is almost impossible but I have some ideas on how to prevent infection and gang green that I could share with you if you decided to go on with amputating the leg yourself.

Yes, amputate it. I am not a fan of culling because I had 4 dogs lost from it. So I would rather amputation. As terrible amputation is it’s the best option you’ve got. Again good luck and prayers for you and your girl.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking and couldn’t put it to words. 🙏❤️
Unfortunately, I’ve been through a few of those heartbreaking moments myself, Jake. I’m sure you have too. I just pray that they did what was best for that sweet hen. Sometimes, we are forced to make the harder, unemotional, but ‘kindest for the chicken’ decision. ❤️ I’ll offer my opinion… if there’s a chance at all, amputate. If she’s okay otherwise, she can live a full life with just one leg. ❤️ I had a dear Gambels quail hen live a long life with only one leg.

Icing it will help reduce/stop the bleeding. Icing will also have abit of a numbing effect leaving the area less painful, & if at home amputation is decided, it'll help out.

I can see the tendon in the hock/ankle is snapped, so there's no fixing it without expensive/risky surgery. Risky cuz birds, & anaesthesia don't mix well.

Been thinking about this girl all afternoon. Is there enough leg left to put a small, chicken sized tourniquet on it? Needs to be wide as possible and tightened till the bleeding slowed way down. Used them in people but nothing as small as a chicken. I don’t have a good feeling about her, unfortunately. 🥲🥲🙏❤️

Back
Top Bottom