Raccoons and chickens and disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grandma53, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Grandma53

Grandma53 New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    My question is that we just discovered raccoons living in the trees above our chicken yard. We let our chickens free range during the day when we are at home. Of course, right now they are restricted to their yard since we found the raccoons. I was reading about a "raccoon latrine" and was concerned if our chickens found the raccoon latrine and if they accidently ate some of the feces, could worms transfer from the chicken to the eggs?

Our chickens aren't showing any signs of illness and my husband is going to be looking for the raccoon latrine today. We are hoping that they made their latrine in the trees rather than in the ground.

If anyone has any suggestions or knows about this situation, your help is appreciated. For obvious reasons we don't want to eat the eggs if this is a problem or concern. I've searched the internet and can't seem to find any information. We try to do everything organic and have a backyard flock in a typical suburban lot.

Thanks to anyone that can offer help.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I really doubt the eggs would be affected, though the chickens might get sick from the feces if they ate some.

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I read a few years ago that toxoplasmosis can be transmitted via your chickens eggs if your chickens got it from cat feces. But I don't know if racoons would carry toxoplasmosis, or anything like that.

4. Talisman

Talisman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Try Google you can find all you need to know..[​IMG] Thanks, heather at Flying H Farms

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If you ammonia soaked rags in the trees it will encourage the raccoons to move their home all together. They generally won't potty where they sleep either.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There is a roundworm in coon manure that can be transmitted to humans with deadly consequences. Please read about "baylisacaris procyonis."
    It's imperative to prevent coons coming anywhere near your chickens by whatever means necessary.

7. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    It's imperative to prevent coons coming anywhere near your chickens by whatever means necessary.

[​IMG]

The coons making your chickens sick is just one risk, they also are quite intent on makeing your chickens dinner and don't mind a bit to transfer other diseases like rabies and distemper to pets and/or kids.

Agree 100% Do what ever you can within your interpretation of the local laws to get rid of them. Some local laws are making it quite difficult and often expensive get rid of such vermin within the confines of the system.​

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  8. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Ok, but how do you pronounce that?

Thank you for the reference, it was a good read.

9. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Including a shotgun.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Including a shotgun.

Ditto

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by