Raccoons and raccoon disposal?

be sides what to bait a trap with all I know is having the coops ventilation is covered with wire or hardware cloth and keeping brush piles, food and water away from the coop. to keep from attracting coons.

Last edited:
The shed is sheetmetal, so id be afraid of hotwiring the whole thing by accident... I think I'd feel guilty about that forever
Proper placement of insulators would prevent that.

I agree with Howard E- since you have no way to dispose of coons you may catch, your time, money and effort would be better spent keeping them out of the coop. An adult raccoon can reach 25 lbs or more and would be all teeth and claws. They are quite vicious when cornered.

Proper placement of insulators would prevent that.

I agree with Howard E- since you have no way to dispose of coons you may catch, your time, money and effort would be better spent keeping them out of the coop. An adult raccoon can reach 25 lbs or more and would be all teeth and claws. They are quite vicious when cornered.

It is a waste of time to use only one approach. Repel yes, should be an immediate concern. Getting birds to roost up out of harms way is so overlooked these days because of the old wives tales concerning damage to feet. Work on shoring up fencing, get birds roosting in a location ground dwellers cannot risk, and shut the barn door.

Roosting options shown are not effective, even for the adult birds. Make them fly 4 feet up!

It is a waste of time to use only one approach. Repel yes, should be an immediate concern. Getting birds to roost up out of harms way is so overlooked these days because of the old wives tales concerning damage to feet. Work on shoring up fencing, get birds roosting in a location ground dwellers cannot risk, and shut the barn door.

Roosting options shown are not effective, even for the adult birds. Make them fly 4 feet up!
I agree that other measures are necessary as well. I was specifically addressing the need to keep them out vs. trapping with no way of dispatch/disposal.

bait that box trap with a piece of peanut buttered bread. set the bread on the ground and place the trap on the bread behind the trigger. you said you have a pond? catch that coon and submerge it in the pond. no need for rocks or anything on top, just make shure the trap is submerged. most states it is illegal to trap and transfer coon. rabies vectors. its august, young coon can survive with out there mother by now. but don't be surprised if she hasn't taught her young that your chickens are fair game!

bait that box trap with a piece of peanut buttered bread. set the bread on the ground and place the trap on the bread behind the trigger. you said you have a pond? catch that coon and submerge it in the pond. no need for rocks or anything on top, just make shure the trap is submerged. most states it is illegal to trap and transfer coon. rabies vectors. its august, young coon can survive with out there mother by now. but don't be surprised if she hasn't taught her young that your chickens are fair game!
I baited the trap with some corn and mashed potatoes leftover from dinner, and caught a young raccoon last night. My mom is adamant that I don't kill them, although I filled the pond so it would just submerge the cage (cage is bigger than I thought) I think if I do end up dispatching some, I'll have to throw a towel on top to stop them from sticking their nose through the bars. I also made sure to put the chicks on the top roost, right up on the ceiling... Didnt loose any today. It looks like momma is done with them, they're independent and she doesn't sing her food song anymore... I blocked the hole with some HW cloth, and put the trap there, because I'm pretty sure they got in through there.

I have some meat birds and one hen with a broken wing, is there a way I could make roosting accessible to all? Everything is also stacked together, with the exception of a metal rod thats screwed into the walls, because the sheet metal is not that strong... Maybe i could frame the outside with 2x4s to screw things onto?

Back
Top Bottom