Raccoons are EVIL.

You need to be spanked...

Dang centrarchid, we're getting a little kinky in our dotage aren't we? ;):p
But I will admit that even a coon deserves a "sporting chance"
Therefor around the 3 minute mark in this Jerry Clower video the sage of Liberty Mississippi explains exactly how to give a coon a sporting chance.
I even still have my old coon hunting cross cut saws ifing you want to go coon hunting.

Last edited:
I lost 2 their second night in their new coop. They were about 3 weeks old. The coons found a weak spot in the nesting box, reached their grubby little hands in and pulled out 2 chicks. They left me one chick.
This prompted me to buy 4 more chicks, and a LOT more locks and latches!!! Though they try darn near every night, leaving their nasty hand prints all over my coop, they continue to fail in their attempts.
I never leave them out after dusk or let them out before sun up. Those little nightmares are the absolute worst!

I lost 2 their second night in their new coop.... Though they try darn near every night.... they continue to fail....

Nothing is 100% absolutely sure, but a layered coon defence or a pest MANAGEMENT strategy works the best. A pest management strategy combines several layers of defence involving strong coops, runs, pens, and fences with a proactive defence that stands ready at a moment's notice to eliminate any and all coons who insist on trying out or breaching your defences.

Nothing is 100% absolutely sure, but a layered coon defence or a pest MANAGEMENT strategy works the best. A pest management strategy combines several layers of defence involving strong coops, runs, pens, and fences with a proactive defence that stands ready at a moment's notice to eliminate any and all coons who insist on trying out or breaching your defences.
So far, what I have done is working. It's only been 2 weeks since the attack, so I'm not done yet.
Today my husband and I are building a run for them with hardware cloth and wood with latches and locks. The coop has hardware cloth all around it, at every opening and buried under ground.
Nothing we do will ever be 100%. But we are doing what we can to prevent another attack. The dogs are little to no help, I won't leave them outside at night.
I am going to be installing an electric wiring around the coop and run as well. I just have to find some place that sells them out here. If I can't, I will order it online,

The best source for information and products that I've found is Premier1supplies.com. They have catalogs and expert assistance for electric fencing, electrified poultry netting, poultry feeders, all sorts of stuff.
I too started with chickens and horrible raccoon disasters, and learned how to protect them by building 'Ft. Knox' out there. I still trap and shoot any that come to my bird feeders at my house, and my dogs help too. I had an obviously neurological raccoon in my barn a couple of years ago, who fortunately tested negative for rabies and distemper, but had abcesses in his brain. Shooting him was a kindness, poor guy.
There used to be a market for raccoon pelts, but not anymore. Mary

Back
Top Bottom