Raccoons Came Back

eeckenrode

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 19, 2011
Two nights ago we lost 2 chickens and a chick to a mama raccoon and her 4 (big babies). We captured them on video the next night looking for a way in but leaving without getting in. Last night the mama coon found a way in. We think she lifted the metal roof and got in that way. I heard the chickens upset about 2:30 am and my husband ran out the coop with his 22 rifle and got the mama coon after she got one of my white leghorns. Now we have her 4 baby coons to deal with. I think tonight we'll screw the roof on tighter. Yesterday we had one trying to get in during the day and my husband shot, but did not kill it. Has anyone had any problems with them during the day or do they just look for food at night?

Last edited:
Most racoons will forage from the early evening till early morning but, I have seen them ocassionaly forage later in the morning and earlier in the evening if it is a mother with babies. I think a lot of it has to do with the available food source. They like fresh chicken, and once they get a taste they will not stop till they get it.

Working with a lot of wildlife over the last 20 years for work, I have to say that this time of year it's one of two things for a coon to be out and about duing the day. Either like Critter said - Momma really needing food for babies or It's gonna be sick. Very sick. Either way, you need to get rid of them. Or they will get rid of your girls.

Im dealing with that problem right now a momma and babies. So far we have taken care of 2 smaller babies and 2 teenagers but yet to catch momma. She took 2 of ours 3 nights ago. Since then we trapped the 2 small ones the first night one the night after and one last night. I have never seen them during the daylight hours, but come nightfall they are around. She pulled the harware cloth off of a window and got in. We redid the window more secure and so far havent had anymore losses. It sucks. I know. One she got was my school rooster. I would take him to area schools to show. He was so good with the kids, allowing them to hold him and perch on their arms for pictures. He is the one in my avatar. I say keep after them.

Two nights ago we lost 2 chickens and a chick to a mama raccoon and her 4 (big babies). We captured them on video the next night looking for a way in but leaving without getting in. Last night the mama coon found a way in. We think she lifted the metal roof and got in that way. I heard the chickens upset about 2:30 am and my husband ran out the coop with his 22 rifle and got the mama coon after she got one of my white leghorns. Now we have her 4 baby coons to deal with. I think tonight we'll screw the roof on tighter. Yesterday we had one trying to get in during the day and my husband shot, but did not kill it. Has anyone had any problems with them during the day or do they just look for food at night?

The raccoon that was there during the day is probably one of the young of the mother raccoon. No more mama to count on to show it the ropes. If you don't secure your coop better, this is going to be a repeating problem no matter how many of them you kill.

Im so sorry for every ones loses....
hugs.gif

My Salmon Fav. Roo was raising cane the other night I went out to check on him and the girls but I didn't see anything but set up the trap anyway and sure enough there was a big ole Coon in the trap the next morning. That makes a grand total of 6 Coons this year but they have yet to get any of my girls or boys so far this year. I dont have to dispatch them anymore there is a guy around here that enjoys eating them and skinning them he just comes and picks them up, I could never eat one YUK!! but him and his family do so at least it isn't just a wasted life, at least its going for something. (However I wouldnt hesitate to dispatch one in a minute! if I had too, I lost 13 birds to some coons a couple of years ago and don't plan on losing anymore to them if I can help it!! )

Back
Top Bottom