Raccoons: Do they ever leave?

Raccoons are pretty habitual animals. They won't leave unless you get rid of them. Live trap with relocation or you can shoot them in the live trap if killing them will not make you squeamish. Easiest way is to set multiple conibear traps up in the path they take to the shed or coop at night. Goodluck.

Not a good one, for several reasons.

Then they should not trap. ;)
Yea. Your right there. I tell folks not to do it especially because once a coon goes into a live trap it becomes so hard to trap them again if they just relocate them. Super mischievous little devils. People do it anyway though.

Thank you so much for all your responses! I sincerely did not expect the quantity of advice/experiences/expertise given! Thank you!!

The coop/run is located in the suburbs of Northern California with one acre-ish of land (but I sadly and frequently travel to another state for school). Thus, I understand I can live catch BUT I am only legally allowed to have the great pleasure of releasing these jerks in the same location. I would love to kill them for all the headaches they've put me through but my dad is a great believer that guns = major danger. My family has been raising chickens (hens + roosters, new and old flocks) for six years and we have never ever had such a crazy, nightly ritual, "head-on", persistent harassment of raccoons on the chickens. Yes, we've seen raccoons, but in the past, they're usually sunbathing, digging in the garden, and rarely near the coop... my dad thinks its due to the lack of bobcats (true or false?).

I have purchased the parts for an electric/hot fence and will be installing soon. I really hope this works...
Yes, I have been the crazy lunatic who has been awake at nearly all hours of the night fighting a losing battle with a sadistic bb air gun...
Chickens, to me, are such precise and humbling creatures, surprising me in more ways than I can/could have imagined!

Back
Top Bottom