Raccoons - Warning: Graphic Photos

Good job! I think I labeled myself as some sort of tree hugger on this forum but I feel like this is a good opportunity to commend you for respectful killing. Too many people come here and gloat about ripping up the horrible murdering monsters getting into their coop (as if shooting a trapped small mammal takes much skill).. and somehow fail to see it’s JUST an animal, like their chickens, doin’ what it’s made to do. I’m all for livestock protection and even hunting, I just wish that being respectful of nature was more commonplace.

I don’t blame you for dispatching a coon that was just a little too comfy around your land. The only thing I’d warn you about is another coon taking its place, maybe sooner, maybe later. And maybe the next one will prefer chickens to sunflower seeds!
Good luck. :)

Thanks - to be truthful, I didn't want to kill it. I absolutely did not enjoy killing it. I have a friend who loves BBQ raccoon...so, I cleaned it and put in the fridge for him to come pick up. I don't believe in wasting an animals life if at all possible.

In the field behind my house, there are about a half dozen or more deer, at least a dozen or two wild turkey. There are more hawks and owls than I can count in the woods. I've not killed a single one of them, and anyone who goes out into that field or woods looking to kill one...won't like me very much. :)

It's just a balance - and hopefully, if another comes along I'll see signs of it before any harm comes to my chickens.

Thanks - to be truthful, I didn't want to kill it. I absolutely did not enjoy killing it. I have a friend who loves BBQ raccoon...so, I cleaned it and put in the fridge for him to come pick up. I don't believe in wasting an animals life if at all possible.

In the field behind my house, there are about a half dozen or more deer, at least a dozen or two wild turkey. There are more hawks and owls than I can count in the woods. I've not killed a single one of them, and anyone who goes out into that field or woods looking to kill one...won't like me very much. :)

It's just a balance - and hopefully, if another comes along I'll see signs of it before any harm comes to my chickens.
A balance indeed! I detest trophy hunting but know full well that hunting for overpopulation is a necessity. I love seeing a respectful hunter and animal keeper, it’s truly refreshing.

I had my first raccoon attack a few nights ago and I was not prepared for it! I woke up to the sound of chicken screams at 4 am and jumped out of bed. I luckily caught the raccoon early enough where I didn't lose any of my chickens although two are badly injured (two of the chickens were grabbed through the coop window which now has wire mesh). It didn't seem like the size of an adult and it was by itself. How often do they come back? Especially when an attack was unsuccessful? How persistent are they? My next door neighbor has bags of trash in her backyard so i'm sure that doesn't help :hmm

I have 2 different kinds of garbage cans for my cat food and chicken food. Coons try to get in but havent so far.

How often do they come back? Especially when an attack was unsuccessful? How persistent are they? My next door neighbor has bags of trash in her backyard so i'm sure that doesn't help :hmm

Raccoons are fairly persistent critters, if they find an easy food source, they will absolutely hammer on it until it's used up. Like most animals, they will go for the easier meals first, but that doesn't mean they won't try for something more tasty if it's possible.

Good luck, hopefully they'll not come to your chickens for a treat.

I’m surprised it hasn’t returned. Usually once a raccoon realizes there’s a tasty chicken dinner in your yard they will be back. I’ve had several several raccoon experiences and until we get rid of the raccoon by trap or other methods they continued to come back. We spent a very very very long time securing their run and coop to make it in penetrable because we have raccoon issues around here. Maybe you could take some pictures of your coop and run and post it because there’s so many people here with so many experiences and ideas And maybe give you some extra ideas to help predator proof

I'm surprised it hasn't come back either... I'm still nervous especially since we will be leaving a few days to go up north for the 4th of July.

When the raccoon attacked, my coop window did not have any mesh wiring, it was open, so it was able to reach in and grab a few chickens which are now currently injured and healing in my laundry room :( I also didn't close the coop door since it was hot out and they were in an enclosed run. The other issue was part of the run had some loose chicken wire and I put a rock in the front thinking nothing would get in. I was wrong. The raccoon moved the rock and opened the loose wiring... When we found the raccoon inside, it was unable to get out so I'm glad we caught it early. This is my first year raising chickens so I still have some learning to do and any tips would be helpful. My coop/run is small for 7 chickens so we built a bigger run to connect on the other side. I'll provide a picture later today. I didn't put any wiring underneath the run and I'm thinking I should have. Do raccoons dig often?

Since the attack, I have put mesh wire over the window, have been closing their coop door, and fixed any loose wiring. I also added a few mouse traps around the perimeter...

Oh you definitely should have a skirt around to run and coop. They definitely will try to dig their way in. And just from experiences how do you attach your wire? They can pull wire and pop Staples right out. They also can easily figure out how to open a door latch when it’s locked. They say if a toddler can get into your chicken coop so can A raccoon. We made our run is safe is our coop because our chickens like to sleep outside when it’s hot. But we spent a really long time making it safe

Back
Top Bottom