Race against time: Building an insulated coop before the arctic air arrives.

I thought this part of the job would take awhile but my wife and I had it done in just a few hours.

DA365DB0-A9CE-43E5-A817-523665CB5156.jpeg

It looks great!
After you skipped the vent to put the door on - did you get to it? I haven't been able to picture how it goes behind the straw.

Also, completely optional but you can add more than one picture to a single post. :)
Thank you! The vent is coming soon because the most important insulation of all is in the ceiling. In this case the straw in the loft will be the insulation, just like an old fashioned barn. I will have to screen the vent with wire and cover with a sliding panel and vapour barrier that keep the straw out of the vent and protected from escaping water vapour that might condense on it.

Just a quick note about the silver insulation - will it be out of pecking range of the chickens? I ask because they will peck anything shiny and more than one chicken has enjoyed pecking through and ripping up insulation after all that hard work. If it is going to be within their reach via roosts, you may want to put a layer of hardware cloth over the front - I would do a thin trim board around the edges of the insulation and fasten the hardware cloth to the trim boards - then they can't reach it through the hardware cloth. Just a thought.

Just a quick note about the silver insulation - will it be out of pecking range of the chickens? I ask because they will peck anything shiny and more than one chicken has enjoyed pecking through and ripping up insulation after all that hard work. If it is going to be within their reach via roosts, you may want to put a layer of hardware cloth over the front - I would do a thin trim board around the edges of the insulation and fasten the hardware cloth to the trim boards - then they can't reach it through the hardware cloth. Just a thought.
Yes, I am keeping the hens down low until I can cover the foil. My biggest worry is them going deeper and reaching fiberglass! If they insist on tearing into it I have some more paneling I can throw up but no hardware cloth. I really don’t like the stuff much.

Just a quick note about the silver insulation - will it be out of pecking range of the chickens? I ask because they will peck anything shin
Ditto Dat...my birds pecked at the silver bubble wrap on the heated waterer.
Guess they like to pop those bubbles too!

Covered it with old plastic feed bag material, that took care of the issue.

Back
Top Bottom