Racist Chickens ?

MTopPA_18707

Songster
9 Years
Dec 18, 2010
Mountain Top, PA (NEPA)
My 14 yrs old daughter told me "Your chickens are racist !"
I was like, "What ?"

We have six, 9 week old chickens - all raised together from day old chicks.
Three are Black Australorps and three are Buff Orpingtons.

Anyway she's right . . . each breed seems to stay with it's own and not mingle with the other.

They didn't do this when they were younger . . . and it only became noticeable once the 7 roosters left for freezer camp.

Any idea why they are segregating themselves ?

Kevin & Kids

Mine do the same thing. No idea. But their personalities are very different related to their breed, and that could be a very big reason why they want to hang out with each other, another is probably size. My D'Uccles are small and quiet and prefer each other's company, Silkies are bigger, Sebrights are more active, etc. They have no idea what they personally look like.

deb g

Many people will say that it is color, but I agree with Stilldeb. I think it is more because of personality differences. I've had blacks and whites that hung together or blacks and reds when there were others of their own color available. Some like to hang near the rooster but some don't. I think it is because breeds tend to have similar personalities that it looks like they are racist when they break into their groups. I could be wrong, but that is my opinion based on observing my mutts.

I've observed that in my flock too even it is small....the three LF Wellies, in their own group, the one Amerc hen on her own world, the Black Orp mother that brood those LF Wellies, she would either go off on her own or be with her Wellie "daughters", my SSH Bantam, she is her lonely self and then my Wellie bantam, she goes either way to the Wellie group or sitting out by herself.

Are they racist? Probably so but they are tolerant of each other.

Racist? I'm pretty sure that we humans have a lock on that. I'm with Deb and RR. I think they separate by temperment and personality.

Thanks . . . for the fun feedback.

This was meant to be an interesting topic on chicken behaviour.

I don't really think any animal could actually be racist . . . . they are too smart to be that stupid.

Birds of a feather....
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom