Racoon found my home.

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
Hello everyone,

I heard that cayenne pepper or ammonia will keep coons away. Also, sound machines. Does anyone have any experience with this? I tried the predator lights but the coon went up to it and sniffed it.....

I did let me dog out and tethered him to the porch to scare off the coon....he broke loose...and he killed a wild pheasant..:-(

I used motion activated lights and it could care less.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

I have 2 free range roosters that just showed up 4 weeks ago that roost on my second story porch and I will be getting biddies in 3 weeks. They will be kept in my house in a brooder box until 3 weeks old then I will put them in the hardwire coop. (the base is surrounded in thick cement paver stones).

They usually have a territory they roam. Once you get your birds they will be discovered sooner or later. I trap and eliminate. A wildlife officer said they are not endangered and if they threaten my birds I can eliminate them. If you don't want to do that but can catch them in a live trap, there is usually a wildlife rescue that will take them to their release areas. I had problems with an owl killing my birds. I accidentally caught it and since they are federally protected, I contacted a wildlife rescue who came and got it. Good luck...
IMG_20200229_133038.jpg

They will likely move on as long as they don't find anything to eat. Button up all your coops and runs, and make sure there is no food out that they might get into. If they find food, they will keep coming back.
Deterrents really don't work except maybe a 24/7 LGD. You'll have to trap/dispatch or tighten security and wait it out.
ugh. I set a trap and I am hoping I catch it. I do have a LGD but she stays in the fence. These free range roosters wont even let me catch them. They hang in the yard in the day time and if I get 10 feet from them they run as fast as they can. If I grab the roosters while they sleep are they going to freak out? They are pretty big boys and I dont want to get hurt and I don't want to hurt them. This is really frustrating.
They usually have a territory they roam. Once you get your birds they will be discovered sooner or later. I trap and eliminate. A wildlife officer said they are not endangered and if they threaten my birds I can eliminate them. If you don't want to do that but can catch them in a live trap, there is usually a wildlife rescue that will take them to their release areas. I had problems with an owl killing my birds. I accidentally caught it and since they are federally protected, I contacted a wildlife rescue who came and got it. Good luck...
View attachment 3009641
I am trying to lure the roosters in to my old coop. I had a couple chickens catch mareks disease and 2 of 15 chickens died (2 years ago). They were all vaccinated. I'm a little nervous putting them in the coop...even though it has been 2 years. I don't know if these 2 boys are vaccinated. The only other option is to continue to sleep on my porch upstairs. I'm trying to think which is worse....the possibility of catching mareks...or a predator...

has anyone had any luck using a strobe light for coons and possums.....and owls??
They will get used to those. Radios, lights, and other tactics only work for a short time before they become ineffective. If you grab them at night make sure you pin there wings to there body. Once you have them tucked in close to you, they should calm down. Wear safety glasses. I had a hen peck at me one time just missing my eye.

They will likely move on as long as they don't find anything to eat. Button up all your coops and runs, and make sure there is no food out that they might get into. If they find food, they will keep coming back.
Deterrents really don't work except maybe a 24/7 LGD. You'll have to trap/dispatch or tighten security and wait it out.
Whats an "LGD?"

Hello everyone,

I heard that cayenne pepper or ammonia will keep coons away. Also, sound machines. Does anyone have any experience with this? I tried the predator lights but the coon went up to it and sniffed it.....

I did let me dog out and tethered him to the porch to scare off the coon....he broke loose...and he killed a wild pheasant..:-(

I used motion activated lights and it could care less.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

I have 2 free range roosters that just showed up 4 weeks ago that roost on my second story porch and I will be getting biddies in 3 weeks. They will be kept in my house in a brooder box until 3 weeks old then I will put them in the hardwire coop. (the base is surrounded in thick cement paver stones).
I use cayenne pepper to discourage diggers.It burns like fire and sends them running.

Back
Top Bottom