Racoon in chicken coop!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PrestonSloan08, Aug 11, 2011.

1. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    So I just went out to check on all the chickens and when i got out there my little jap rooster (Rodger) was on top of a raccoon!! I mean like seriously about to kill it!! I was so proud of my little Banty!! Taking care of his women and his enemy my silkie rooster( they don't get along to well) but I took care of the coon ( if you know what I mean). looks like I'm eatin coon dumplings tonight! [​IMG] haha just kidding!! But yes I do believe I have a new favorite chicken!! Even if he doesn't let me pet him!! Rodger the rooster = best pet ever!

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You need to fix how he got in.

3. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Well he wasn't I the actual coop, he was in the run!! I let them out there until about an hour befor dark so there shouldn't be any raccoons out but for some reason there was today!! There is a door that seperates the barn and the run!! They stay in th barn most of the time anyways!! But I leave the door open for them to get out in the sun!! But after dark there is no chance of a coon getting them!!

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Good for him!!

[​IMG]

5. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    A coon out in the day may mean it is sick. We used to see that when they had Rabies around here 15 years ago. Another reason makes me think it may have been sick is that the rooster was on top of him. Not saying the roo wasn't doing his job well, but a coon should have been able to run away at the least. Keep an eye on the birds. Now that the coon has been dispatched there is no way of telling if it was healthy or not. Would not want to see your chickens contract anything from that coon. I can't stand them myself.

6. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Quote:Haha [​IMG]
    It was probably the coolest thing I have ever seen!! Luckily I keep a net in the barn!! ( to catch the chickens if needed) so I got rodger off of him and netted up the coon!! And I don't think it is necessary to tell the rest haha!! I was so proud!! Because that coon was alot bigger than him!!

7. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeah they usually aren't out at night and I hear a coon at day is a sick on too but DNR told me that is a wives tale. He said if it's shortly before it starts getting dark or in the morning nah. I would watch them to be safe, but I'm sure they will be ok! Good boy Roger![​IMG]

8. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Yea and the coons werent the thing I was worried about!! We have 10 (that I know of) fox that live at my house!! We see them just about every day!! So I'm a little nervous!! But the way I have everything built I think they will be fine!! If not there will be some serious hunting going on at my house!!

9. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agree X2!!!!
    No offensive to your Roger and yes you should be very proud!!! However, that being said, what you just experienced and witnessed is very, very rare and pretty much a fluke! Roos just aren't in anyway going to be able to beat a healthy coon ever, if you bring me the most stud prize fighting cock of all time and put a set of those Freddy Kruger looking razor blade foot covers on each foot and then match him up with the whimpiest coon ever, and I'm still putting money on the coon.

10. PrestonSloan08

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    Quote:Agree X2!!!!
    No offensive to your Roger and yes you should be very proud!!! However, that being said, what you just experienced and witnessed is very, very rare and pretty much a fluke! Roos just aren't in anyway going to be able to beat a healthy coon ever, if you bring me the most stud prize fighting cock of all time and put a set of those Freddy Kruger looking razor blade foot covers on each foot and then match him up with the whimpiest coon ever, and I'm still putting money on the coon.

Oh yeah, I deffinatly agree with y'all!! There had to be something wrong with it!! But I'm just proud of Roger because he had the courage to do that!! I was surprised!! He's no chicken he is a roozilla!!! (haha another BYC person came up with that, I'm not taking props but I do like the way it sounds!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by