Racoon Security (how dexterous are they?)

I once saw a Racoon work a Ribits cube like he went to MIT, they can be very well smart.

AL

coons are very dexterous.... your chicken wire will keep birds in, but will not keep coons, dogs or cats out. the material on the gate is strong, but I had a coon eat a bird through 1x2" welded wire. I use 1/2" square welded wire now. Have killed 3 coons this fall all close around the garden and near our tractor - not seen any around new coop, when I do they will be dropped. Don't underestimate animals that earn a living killing chickens and other birds. They are relentless and will spend months trying to find a weak spot in your design. they will kill your birds. Slaughtered birds is an ugly site that I hope to never see again. I've had birds killed by dog, coon, foxes, and cat. Keep them out by building with their strength in mind don't look for their weaknesses - like they are looking for yours.

I am just gonna throw my 2 cents in, like everyone has said chicken wire is great to keep birds in, but will keep nothing from getting in,so what I do is I either use Chainlink fencing or welded wire and if I have smaller birds on the ground that I worry about getting out I will then use chicken wire as a secondary measure to keep the smaller chickens in but never use chicken wire for your primary fencing. Once again this is just my 2 cents worth!!!

Back
Top Bottom