Racoon Trouble--Please Help!

Quote:
Relocating them isn't the best idea, in my opinion. With this method you are getting rid of your problem and letting it become a problem to someone else.
sad.png

Dawn

Thanks for all your advice! I have never killed an animal, and I don't know if I could possibly do what it takes to put it on the table. (Even if I had a clue how to! Since having chickens and getting to know how sweet they are I have become a bit adverse to eating meat in the entirety anyway.) There is a wildlife refuge nearby and I contacted them, and they told me that if you see one raccoon there is probably a whole family. She told me to reinforce my coop with Hardware cloth, and make sure that I bury it well into the ground as coons will dig. She also recommended that urine will deter them from going near the coop. So, I can have my boys "go outside" along the perimeter to keep them away. Surprisingly my boys were embarrassed about the whole proposition. Can't say I like the idea of my boys peeing in the yard, I wonder if the smell would be noticeable? She said that here in Oregon it is illegal to relocate them. So either I fortify the coop and the fish pond, or I kill the raccoons. Though she didn't tell me if that was ok. I would personally rather learn to coexist peacefully with them, than kill something, but I want to protect my flock and family as well.

Quote:
Interesting recipe....You know if there is ever a food shortage the people who can eat wild animals will be the ones to survive! Or the ones who have chickens that give them yummy eggs...

...I think I might stick with the eggs! We just got our first yesterday!
big_smile.png

do you have a coop you can lock them into? and keep them out of the run? and lock the coop up well? if so you should be ok keeing them in runs dont work coons are crafty critters! i grew up coon hunting when i was young and let me tell you coon taste gross to each there own but i hated it;) If you have one they will invite friends and relatives and if they find fish they will wipe them out too and releasing them can give someone else a problem so SSS works if it gets too bad but if your coop is really secure and dont keep your birds in the run at night they should be fine good luck!

We have a coop, but its not locked. The door is covered with thick plastic with slits like you would see in a freezer of some sorts. They can get in and out as they please, but it doesn't let cool air in. Locking the coop is a great suggestion! The coop is actually a large converted dog house, so the door is, well, a dog house door opening. I wonder if I installed a dog door with a locking plate would that be secure? I am really worried about coming out in the morning and finding one or more of them headless! I think I'll check into those solutions! Thanks!

Can you use hot wire on the outside perimeter of the coop?
Detering them is fine but after he is done eating all of your pond fish, I suspect the chicken coop will look pretty attractive.
I would seriously think about SSS since relocation is not an option in your area.

Yes please get a door on your coop that will work trust me I have raised birds now for over 9 yrs and have been thru every kind of predator attack mostly coons bear was the worst:( but find a way to lock it also cause they are smart to figure out how to open most coop door if you use a regular latch bungie cords work too;) you wont have a bird lose its head if they are locked in the coop, leaving them in the run yes they will go after your birds they stick there hands in and wiggle there paws to get chickens to check them out and grab em then you lose your birds please fix asap so you dont lose your birds even trapping one coon there will always be others they are out hot and heavy here now breeding then they hibernate for the winter but right now is the busy season for coons good luck:)

Back
Top Bottom