Radio protecting my hens?

i left one on all the time with my three month old pullets when i would leave them in my horse stall. i thought it was working. i went in to check on them and do a head count at 6 o'clock and left the light on. but when i went back, at 830 i was down one.

Certian heavy metal will probably scare off predators
lau.gif
It will probably scare off neighbors, friends, and relations too

I have a radio on in each of my coops
(25) and I swear by them. I live in the middle of the woods with more predators than permitted by law. All joking aside, I live 4 miles off the main road on a cayon that over looks the American River. I have had every type of predator at one time or another. The main one is bear. I have watched them walk around the fence until they get near the coop, they hear the voices and leave. I have tried all the different types of music stations and I have found that talk shows works the best. It is my opinion that the voices are what runs them off. If I had only one choice for predator protection, it would be a radio.

Thank you all for your comments and advise. I believe im going to have a radio talk program come on for an hour or so in the morning by a timer device. I bought an automatic door opener that is triggered by a sensor which opens the coop door early in the morning and closes it at dusk. The problem is, early morning is a very vulnerable time for chickens to be out scratching around next to a 30 acre woods. I suppose a timer device would solve this problem, however, your talking another $80.00 dollars on top of the $200 I already spent. But I do appreciate all of your help. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Save your money and leave it on 24/7. I don't know about where you live, but here night time is the worst.
With mid to late afternoon next. The radio cost a couple of dollars at the goodwill and a few dollars to run.
I don't have 30 acres nest to me, I have thousands of arces. The whole national forest is my back door. All my chickens are free ranged and the only fence I was is chicken wire with an electric fence that is barb wire, two strands. Keeps out 98% of the ground predators and 0% of the air attackers.

Back
Top Bottom