Radio protecting my hens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nicelittlehens, Oct 21, 2008.

1. nicelittlehens

nicelittlehens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2008
    Hello out there, does anyone know if a radio will scare off predators? Raccoons in particular

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

It can be possible but you would need to have it turned up. That might get a little annoying to you and the neighbors. Most likely the predictors would get used to the radio being on and it wouldn't be any good.

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i left one on all the time with my three month old pullets when i would leave them in my horse stall. i thought it was working. i went in to check on them and do a head count at 6 o'clock and left the light on. but when i went back, at 830 i was down one.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Certian heavy metal will probably scare off predators [​IMG] It will probably scare off neighbors, friends, and relations too

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have a radio on in each of my coops
    (25) and I swear by them. I live in the middle of the woods with more predators than permitted by law. All joking aside, I live 4 miles off the main road on a cayon that over looks the American River. I have had every type of predator at one time or another. The main one is bear. I have watched them walk around the fence until they get near the coop, they hear the voices and leave. I have tried all the different types of music stations and I have found that talk shows works the best. It is my opinion that the voices are what runs them off. If I had only one choice for predator protection, it would be a radio.

6. nicelittlehens

nicelittlehens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2008
    Thank you all for your comments and advise. I believe im going to have a radio talk program come on for an hour or so in the morning by a timer device. I bought an automatic door opener that is triggered by a sensor which opens the coop door early in the morning and closes it at dusk. The problem is, early morning is a very vulnerable time for chickens to be out scratching around next to a 30 acre woods. I suppose a timer device would solve this problem, however, your talking another $80.00 dollars on top of the $200 I already spent. But I do appreciate all of your help. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Save your money and leave it on 24/7. I don't know about where you live, but here night time is the worst.
    With mid to late afternoon next. The radio cost a couple of dollars at the goodwill and a few dollars to run.
    I don't have 30 acres nest to me, I have thousands of arces. The whole national forest is my back door. All my chickens are free ranged and the only fence I was is chicken wire with an electric fence that is barb wire, two strands. Keeps out 98% of the ground predators and 0% of the air attackers.

8. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I was going to suggest playing rap (it AINT) music. But your hens would probably stop laying. And your neighbors'd be mad at you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by