1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Radishes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jeepchick, Jul 1, 2011.

1. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    So I saw on the chart that chickens like radish greens but do they like the radishes themselves? We grew them in the garden and noone likes them lol I am so excited for the garden goodies for the chickens. Going to hatvest some fresh spinnach tomorrow morning [​IMG]

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    My chickens do love radish greens, but don't seem to care for the root. They usually leave that part behind. They do, however, love to eat the roots of both beets and carrots.

3. jeepchick

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    Thanks [​IMG] maybe ill gove them a couple and see what they do....they have become quite picky lately...tried to give them a little bread today and they turned up their noses at it. Grass clippings....nope wanted nothing to do with it. Chopped up a hot dog and OMG they went mental!

4. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    yeah..dont wanna go there...we tried growing them, hubby loves them...chickens devistated them...gone...need to replant

5. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    It depends on the chicken, but most prefer the greens. I have some radishes planted in the garden but my hens haven't touched them at all. But be warned, if your chickens can get into your vegetable patch, they love pea plants. I had to make a fence around each of mine :L xD

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Even more than that, they love to dust bathe in there and scratch around under the plants, both of which = dead plants. Fence the garden and you'll be happiest lol.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I had a bunch go to seed. They do love the green. Are the flowers okay too?

8. wahoowifeandmom

wahoowifeandmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Nebraska
    Quote:In my experience, chickens won't eat radishes. Or potatoes unless you cook them. Your birds must get the best of the best! Mine think bread and grass clippings are real treats! But then I don't think I have ever given them a hot dog . . .

9. jeepchick

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    so the greens were a big hit and afew of the even ate some of the root....only the white part they dint touch the red outter skin

10. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Quote:Watching my hens play radish hockey is one of my favorite pass-times. They love all parts of a radish!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by