What treats does everyone use?

May 3, 2023
Not a question, just wondering what people like to give to their chickens as a treat. I need to keep mine confined because of predators, so I like to give them greens to make up for their relative lack of foraging. Their favorite is romaine lettuce, but I also give them dandelions from the lawn when they're around. I give them peas and shedded carrots on occasion. They also like dried waxworks and tomato hornworms from my garden.

Not a question, just wondering what people like to give to their chickens as a treat. I need to keep mine confined because of predators, so I like to give them greens to make up for their relative lack of foraging. Their favorite is romaine lettuce, but I also give them dandelions from the lawn when they're around. I give them peas and shedded carrots on occasion. They also like dried waxworks and tomato hornworms from my garden.
I very rarely give my girls treats like mealworms and I never give them scratch. I do give them frozen strawberries or watermelon when it's hot out, but I don't consider those treats. My girls forage around my backyard most days

You actually don't need to give anything "to supplement their diet", their diet is complete with formulated feed.
Fruits and veggies are fine, scratch and dried bugs are unnecessary.
Just don't over do them. :]

I can lead my hens anywhere by tossing a few mung bean or lentil sprouts where I want them to go. They love them, the beans are cheap, easy to sprout, not messy to handle and it's excellent protein.

I use the honest worm and flock party mealworms, as well as scratch we found at Tractor Supply. They go crazy for it! I also give them any leftover lettuce or greens we have (as long as they haven't touched onions). All of these aren't super common for them, the most common is just the grass they find and eat : P

Back
Top Bottom