Raiding the compost bin

You listed slim possibilities

REALITY is chickens seldom have problems eating those things. much in the same way you insisted Avocados were "deadly" while ignoring the fact a 4 lb chicken would need to consume a POUND to be harmed.

There was nothing "irrational" about the statement I made
It's simply the truth
Chickens commonly eat those things with NO ill effects

I never said it isn't "a risk"
I said it's not ENOUGH of a risk to really worry about

If you are going to quote me you need to be accurate. If you are going to debate, you must be sensible. I made my points with the facts to back them.

I hope the OP is blessed with healthy chickens and uses common sense, despite those who only desire to contradict facts.

*edited by staff*

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to quote me you need to be accurate. If you are going to debate, you must be sensible. I made my points with the facts to back them.

I hope the OP is blessed with healthy chickens and uses common sense, despite those who only desire to contradict facts.
Nothing I said was incorrect.

You listed some diseases/parasites birds CAN get.
A couple had NO relation to compost at all, and the others are low risk

They don't have to live in a glass bubble to be healthy

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, never expected these responses when I first posted the question.

I actually have a corner of my run where I give the chickens compost to dig through before I move it to the gardens. But that is only compost that has already broken down quite a bit and just to let them eat some of the bugs and break it down a little more before it goes to the gardens. I use a three bin compost system so all the new stuff goes into the same bin then gets moved into other bins as it breaks down. After seeing the chicken with the moldy grape I am keeping a small piece of fencing covering the first bin and just let them access the other two bins.

I actually have a corner of my run where I give the chickens compost to dig through before I move it to the gardens. But that is only compost that has already broken down quite a bit and just to let them eat some of the bugs and break it down a little more before it goes to the gardens. I use a three bin compost system so all the new stuff goes into the same bin then gets moved into other bins as it breaks down. After seeing the chicken with the moldy grape I am keeping a small piece of fencing covering the first bin and just let them access the other two bins.
Best of luck
thumbsup.gif

I actually have a corner of my run where I give the chickens compost to dig through before I move it to the gardens.  But that is only compost that has already broken down quite a bit and just to let them eat some of the bugs and break it down a little more before it goes to the gardens.  I use a three bin compost system so all the new stuff goes into the same bin then gets moved into other bins as it breaks down.  After seeing the chicken with the moldy grape I am keeping a small piece of fencing covering the first bin and just let them access the other two bins. 

This is my idea as well, having things breakdown prior to the chickens having access to it. Either way, the chickens love it, and it keeps them busy.

Nothing I said was incorrect.

You listed some diseases/parasites birds CAN get.
A couple had NO relation to compost at all, and the others are low risk

They don't have to live in a glass bubble to be healthy

Of course you did: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/836577/raiding-the-compost-bin#post_12301262
You claim "no ill health effects" can come from chickens "happily gobbling maggots off a dead carcass", after I mention the problems that can occur from bacterial toxins which exist in decaying plants which are in compost.

I never suggested chickens live in a glass bubble. I just wouldn't recommend people allow birds access to moldy, spoiled fruit, vegetables, or let them "happily gobble down maggots off a carcass".
lol.png

As you can see, this is quite a controversial topic and everyone does things a bit differently. For me - NO - I don't let my girls eat from the portion of the compost pile where spoiled, moldy food is thrown. I do let them have certain leftovers, fruits, veggies and trimmings that haven't yet turned the corner. Those items I throw in their run and they're gone long before there's any chance of being moldy.

I lost a hen to what I think was botulism last year so that's why I'm cautious, especially in the warmer months when botulism is more of a threat. But, hey, that's just me!

My flock loves scratching in and around the compost pile. It's just one place they stop on their tour around the yard and woods all day, but they find loads of fat bugs in there.

I've never had a problem with my birds related to their scratching in the compost. Everything that goes into my compost pile was once destined for (or leftover from) the table. And if the chickens don't get it, it will end up back on the table after it feeds the veggies growing in my garden. Furthermore, the chickens aren't going to eat anything that's rancid. It's no appealing to them.

Just let the birds roam and be happy. They'll be healthier because of it.

Furthermore, the chickens aren't going to eat anything that's rancid. It's no appealing to them.

Just let the birds roam and be happy. They'll be healthier because of it.
That's certainly not true. Mycotoxins are often invisible, tasteless, chemically stable and resistant to temperature and storage. Field fungi such as Fusarium sp. produce mycotoxins much more likely to be found in composted vegetation.

I wouldn't suggest people not allow their flock to range, just use common sense in regard to it. Just like the good Dr. Marshall states:
"During wet weather chickens should not have access to compost areas and uneaten decaying fruits and vegetables should be removed from these areas at all times.
Ensure your birds do not eat potting mixes and plant fertilizers as these are common sources of toxic moulds and bacteria that are potentially lethal to chickens, ducks and geese."

Here's the link for anyone desiring to read some common sense:
http://www.birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/mould_infections.html

Back
Top Bottom