Rain and chickens

Caleb999

Chirping
Aug 28, 2015
Rural Eastern Ontario, Canada
Hi there. Just was curious about my hens and rain. I usually have sheets of tin on my run, but sometimes, I don't. I thought my hens would take shelter immediately, but no, they stay out in they rain. I came home from school one day to find my hens soaked to the skin. I locked them in their insulated coop within minutes. So, I'm wondering, is it normal for my chickens to enjoy the rain? Should I be concerned? Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks for your help.

I am not an expert but I had the chickens in the yard today and it was raining the whole time. They would not go back to the run. When I was soaked I decided to lure them back into the run so I could go dry off. They did not mind it at all.

Hi there. Just was curious about my hens and rain. I usually have sheets of tin on my run, but sometimes, I don't. I thought my hens would take shelter immediately, but no, they stay out in they rain. I came home from school one day to find my hens soaked to the skin. I locked them in their insulated coop within minutes. So, I'm wondering, is it normal for my chickens to enjoy the rain? Should I be concerned? Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks for your help.
It is perfectly normal for them to like the rain. Mine were soaked to the skin today too, they didn't care. Trust me, if they think they need shelter they will shelter. I am home schooled, so I can stay home and always make sure they are acting right, they never act abnormally after/when there so wet.

My chickens like the rain too. Especially when it's warm and hasn't rained in a while. I think it's normal and you have nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom