Rain and chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by digger455, Sep 22, 2010.

1. digger455

digger455 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I'm here in southern minnesota and this is my first year with chickens. We got 3" of rain today and it sounds like maybe 2" to 3" again tomorrow. My question is what to do just open the coop door and let them out if they want or keep in all day? I had to lock them in about 2 today so was thinking that all night and tomorrow to was and awful long time. I have 11 hens and two roosters. Been getting 10 to 11 eggs a day. Will this horse up there laying? Oh they are 5 months old now I got them April 5th this year. I have wood chips on the floor so they will get wet I think if I leave door open.

Thanks for any help,

Digger

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I just leave their door open and let them come and go as they want. Unless it's a very windy, nasty storm they actually seem to enjoy the rain. When they get tired of it they come in and preen and dry out. On one coop I had we added a little roof over the door, like a porch, to keep the rain out.

3. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    It sounds like 2-3 inches is a lot! I usually leave mine in on a nasty day like that. One or two days inside won't hurt until the rain dries up.
    Bunny:bun

4. digger455

digger455 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    It sure is allot of rain, don't ever remember a storm like this for a while. I have deep puddles every where. Boy it sure does not take long to get a answer on here.

No Harley riding tomorrow,
    Thanks

5. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Funny you should mention that, because it just rained a TON here in Colorado! I never lock the chickens up when it rains though: I just let them go in a out as usual, but make sure they have a warm dry place they can go back to. They get really cranky when they're locked up for too long! [​IMG]
    They were out about all day today, some of them out more than others, and looked pretty funny wet, but they didn't seem to mind at all. They would much rather be out there scratching around in the mud than be penned up all day.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I was curious of this also. The last time it rained here my oldest girls were about 8 or 9 weeks, too young to be out in the rain. It rained for the first time since then about 2 days ago and my youngest girls acted like it was raining bullets (LIGHT sprinkle) but they ran and dodged. It was funny. Everybody is old enough to make the choice whether to stay in or go out. They have lots of cover, and all stayed out of the coops. I will see what happens when it REALLY rains but I am glad they are ok to choose whether to go in the rain or stay in the coop. [​IMG]

lol my mom joked that when she had chickens they were so dumb they would drown in the falling rain by just looking up. Old wives tale, but it scared me at first LOL!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine range all the time, I'm in the lovely wet PNW. Sometimes they look pretty bad, like drowned rats, but they really are smart enough to go in when they've had enough. Plus, they love all the bugs/worms that come up from the rain!

Actually, none of my animals mind the rain much, except the cats. Horses, dogs, chickens, they all go out in it. As long as they have shelter available, I think it's all good.

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I always open up the door each morning rain or shine and let them decide if they want to go out..they usually choose to go out ;D

9. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    If I had to keep my chickens in everytime it rained really bad they would spend most of their time in the coop!
    Mine are let out every morning, rain, shine or snow and they just get on with it. I have forrestry at the back of the house which they like to go to keep out the rain but thats mostly the silkies that do that, the rest just roam about or hide in their favourite bush!

10. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    We get the quick torrent of rain here in Florida if I lockup the girls every time I would get a lot of exercise, they don't mind the rain its the feather foot bird you need to keep an eye on I think and watch if you have too much mud sitting for foot ailment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by