Rain and sevin dust

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mystang89, Jul 30, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Hi again everyone. I have another question for everyone. My chickens apparently aren't smart enough to realize they get wet in rain and have a house to go into if they want to stay dry....sooooo, here's my question. I just put their second coating of Sevin Dust on them last night with the shake and bake method. By the way, these are 5 bantam leghorn hens. From my understanding of Sevin dust it washes away in the rain. Do I have to go back out now and redust the entire run + my 5 brainless hens? Thanks in advance as usual.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've never used sevin dust on my chickens, so I'm not real sure.

Hopefully someone will be along to answer your ? shortly.

3. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Thanks, I know I posted this in the wrong section on accident but I'm sure there are many knowledgable people on as far as pesticides are concerned

4. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

5. Sexybit

Sexybit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    I have dusted my coop with Sevin but not my chickens. I was afraid to. I hope someone comes along with an answer soon cuz I am curious myself!! [​IMG]

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Anything that got wet and washed cleaned will need to be redusted. The birds will depend on how wet they got. If they didn't get soaked all the way through the feathers then they should be fine.

Matt

7. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    How wet did they get? My girls were soaked after a little rain a couple of days ago (just enough to create steam from the 106 degree ground), and when I was examining them on the roost a little later, the water was confined to the upper layer of feathers. Down by the skin (where the sevin would be) they were dry (hot, but dry). They had a nice dry coop, but it was cooler in the rain, and they seemed to enjoy it.

I think it would depend on whether the Sevin down by their skin got wet.

8. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    I have not dusted my chickens with Sevin, but use it in the coop; run, and dust bath area.
    I use DE in the exact same way.

If your hens didn't get soaked to the skin, then the powder is still present deep in their feathers.
    I have noticed that Sevin powder drys to powder after a rain (in my garden).
    I would hold off for a couple days-treat the hens living area, and see what develops.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  9. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Thanks all for the replies. I wasn't able to go out and see how wet they were getting, mainly because it was coming down in sheets and they weren't worth getting drenched. So I think I'm going to take your alls advice and wait a few days and see how things are going.

10. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Are you guys referring to the type of sevin that people use on their vegetable gardens? Is this stuff really safe to use in the chicken coop and on our chickens? Stuff seems pretty dangerous to be putting on the birds themselve's. I'm guessing it is used to rid of mites and fleas, is this what you folks are using it for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by