Rain getting in coop

Peepums

Hatching
Jan 23, 2018
I'm gonna be transitioning my chicks into their big girl coop here in the next couple of weeks, but I've noticed when it rains, it gets wet inside the nice big ventilation windows. Suggestions on how to shield the inside from rain while keeping good airflow?

Thanks, y'all!

Pictured: After a light snow, the moisture on the floor of the coop; the coop from the outside

coop2.jpg
coop1.jpg

Such a cute coop! maybe you could add a little bit more roofing above the opening.Or you could just put a tarp over it during the winter!

OH NO!! tarp or plastic covering is a temporary solution for dryness and keeping your hens warm! ;)

With the picture you posted of the inside, I'd be worried some of that is dripping in through the cracks of the nesting box lid. If that's the case, you could either reconfigure it to open from the front instead of the top (the gaps in the front would be covered by the overhanging top and snow won't collect on a vertical surface), or you could try some rubber weather sealing strips that would block those gaps but still allow the lid to open and close.
For anything that's blowing through the vent opening, I don't think anything other than extending the overhang could help. Even if it's just another set of shingles sticking out it might do the trick.

Extending the roof would be best, but also maybe a hinged(on the bottom) cover that can be closed when you know it's gonna be nasty...maybe even split cover to hinge in middle and bottom.

Welcome to BYC!
Please add your location to your profile, it will help us give you much better advice.
upload_2018-4-21_12-4-4.png

Back
Top Bottom