Rain proof window?

dakotafig

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 21, 2014
Manhattan, KS
Hello everyone. Long time browser of this forum but now I need some advice. I have an 8x8 coop which was a former storage shed.

I added a chicken door and vents under the eves and the square vent above the door. I'm currently propping fence up in front of the door for light in the coop. The coop needs more ventilation and light, and I would like to put windows in, but my issue is if I put windows in to double as ventilation, how do I make the windows so it won't rain in?

Fyi my coop and run is fairly shaded, and the front door you see in the picture faces the north. Most of our wind and rain goes from the west to the east. Perfect for breeze, bad for breezy rain. :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

Maybe an idea. I think they might look goofy on a chicken shed. Maybe a better option is just lots more vents and a non opening window?

The storage shed looks nice and it was free since I had it, :) but kind of a pain to make into a real functional chicken coop.

I have an idea. You'd probably have to make this yourself, since I don't think you can find it, but here's a thought.

Have you seen a louvered attic vent "window"? They allow air to pass through, but by necessity must be made not to allow water in. Look them up, they're easy to find, but being made of solid materials (wood and aluminum usually) don't let a huge amount of light in.

Consider making one of those from plexiglass. Rough idea here, and keeping in mind I've never actually made one of these: Make a frame for the whole mess to sit in, in the size/shape of your desired "window". Attach small pieces of wood along the inner edge of your frame at the angle you want your louvers to sit at, measured so that there's about 2-3 inches of space between each louver to allow air flow. Make sure there is overlap so that water dripping from the bottom of one louver will drip onto the middle of the louver below that. You will want a pretty steep angle, and always angled towards the ground. Probably 45 degrees would do it.

Once you have the whole thing done--being sure that the bottom louver will overlap the top edge of the bottom side of your frame by about an inch (this keeps water from dripping onto the flat surface of your frame and dripping into the coop, and also prevents wood rot in the long run) I recommend putting 2 coats of a high gloss exterior paint on it BEFORE putting your louvers in. This protects the wood.

That done, cut your sheet of plexiglass into appropriately sized louvers, and set them on top of your "ledges". This is probably best done with the frame laying on the ground. Use either caulk or liquid nails to secure the plexiglass louvers to the wood. I would recommend following up with attaching more pieces of wood to the top exposed side of each louver as you go, nailing or screwing those in so that if your caulk/liquid nails ever fails, the plexiglass cannot go anywhere.

Once all those are done and your adhesive is dry, flip it over so that the inside of your window is exposed, and staple a piece of heavy duty screen mesh into place on the inside to limit insect access to your coop, and prevent any mice or snakes from getting in.

Install your window into an appropriately cut hole in the coop. Make sure to caulk around the whole edge of it, and consider putting a frame in to beautify the edges--or composite quarter-round meant for outdoor use would work equally well.

You could apply some peel and stick window tint if heat is an issue in your area, and you want some light in the coop but not too much heat, before you put the plexiglass in place.
Not sure this will help you or not--it depends on how handy you are I guess--but it's what I'd do in your case if you want a window that's both waterproof and lets light in, if aesthetics are important to you.

You could put a 'hinged at the top window' up high under those eaves on the east side.
Which will give you some light and can be propped open for ventilation in summer.
You'd still need to frame and sill it properly to avoid water infiltration.
Google 'shed windows'.

If you are going to make a window, use Lexan. I made 2 windows last weekend, and drilled holes in the lexan and attached with screws to the homemade window frames. They will be hinged at the top so they are closed when it is raining and they overlap the siding they rest against so water does not get in...but on nice days I can open them and they get plenty of air.
I got 10"x8" lexan sheets for $3.75 each at Home Depot and just put 2 together for a window of 19"X15" (half inch overlap on the frame on all sided for screwing them down). I will post pics shortly.
Lexan also has a 10 yr no yellowing guarantee

A look at the back....lexan didn't crack when drilling. It did beautifully. I did remove some of the rubber protectors so they didn't show thru on the front.

And here is a pic of front with center divider. It is there where the 2 pieces of lexan meet. Again..half inch overlap and it is screwed to that center support to seal the window completely.

Last edited:
You could install windows, hinged at the top, to help keep out rain. But, I have found, that hardware cloth alone, will block a good bit of the rain. See the pic below, see all the window openings, that's the way my coop is set up for most of the year. All the windows, and the main door, are open. I don't run out and shut windows, if it looks like rain. Everything is left as you can see below. I have found, if you have good airflow through the coop, whatever dampness you get from the rain, does not last long. The coop will dry out fairly quick.

900x900px-LL-a1d4c001_IMG_1986.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom