Rain, rain, cannot work on coop, chicks are big!

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
I know we can't be the only ones dealing with this and thank God we gave been lucky enough to be spared from the weather our southern neighbors have had. But we have 19 chicks in brooder and 25 more coming on 28th and the deluge outside continues. Our coop is way behind between the rains and work. Have friends coming to help on Saturday, I think we may visit more than work if the forecast is right. I guess we will find a big cardboard box and rearrange the lamps on the 4 week olds. Good thing 8 of these guys are bantams. We were prepared for the late April arrivals and then I went to TSC and came home with my "practice" birds. I had wanted and planned for chicks for so long when we finally started building coop, I went a little crazy. I had no idea that was chicken math for a newbie. Good thing my husband has given up his basement workshop for the birds. We have plenty of space and coop is 12x24 but I didn't think . . . . Anyone else in the same boat ( we may need a boat soon!)? Did I mention my little ladies (and some gents) are everything I expected and more?

oh gosh; I'm in central IL and its been NUTTY!!!
Tonight was wicked; tornadoes on ground everywhere!!

we NEED to get these chickens OUT OF MY GARAGE..the dust is travelling through the door and just completely taking over the house...gross!!!!!!!!

I could have written your post! We had chicks ordered from a local breeder for the end of March. Perfect, gave us lots of time to build our coop. Then at the end of February I went to a poultry swap and came home with 4 2 week olds and 2 6 week olds! And then it just would not stop raining. We are just now finally getting to the point that the coop is almost done. We should be able to get them out there this week, or by the weekend at the latest.... I hope. I've said that before.
roll.png
And yes, that means I have 13 1/2 and 9 week old chicks in my living room. And because of all the rain, I can't even get them outside every day, poor things. And now we have the new little ones too, which could really use the bigger brooder that the older ones are in!

At least once we got the roof on our coop we could get a lot of the work done despite the rain. I was out there hammering on hardware cloth and trim in hail this afternoon.
tongue.png

momagain1
hope you make out ok in the storms they are pretty nasty this year
lucky we have very few tornados in Ct

Back
Top Bottom