Rain Rain Go Away!

I'm lovin' the rain here. My lawn is half dead from drought, even with the sprinkler system and my trees are stressed. It's been dry so long that I've forgotten what rain is like. But I sympathize with the chickie situation. I've got a broody with chicks in the garage, and I can't move her outside until it dries out. They're silkies, and they might just mold!

I've got one pullet who just wont stay out of the Houston rain during the daylight hours. She just runs and runs and runs around in little water circles.

Side note, I got 20 eggs from the 20 pullets yesterday. That hadnt happended before.

Last edited:
Mine are universally too dumb to come in from the rain. My poor blond silkie looks like a dust mop that has been dipped in a mud puddle. But she can see when her poof is all wet.

mom'sfolly :

I'm lovin' the rain here. My lawn is half dead from drought, even with the sprinkler system and my trees are stressed. It's been dry so long that I've forgotten what rain is like. But I sympathize with the chickie situation. I've got a broody with chicks in the garage, and I can't move her outside until it dries out. They're silkies, and they might just mold!

I know how you feel! My Dad lives near Austin and his well dried up a couple years ago, so he now has rain collection barrels (3 x 2000 gal each). The rain from his roof collects in the barrels, so he is always praying for rain... When there isn't any rain for a while, he has to BUY truckloads of water! His barrels are full now
big_smile.png

mom'sfolly :

Mine are universally too dumb to come in from the rain. My poor blond silkie looks like a dust mop that has been dipped in a mud puddle. But she can see when her poof is all wet.

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Yay on all those eggs! I can't wait for mine to start laying...maybe soon
fl.gif

My RIR roo is the one who likes to run around in the rain. He looks so pathetic with his big pretty tail all droopy and wet
lau.gif
At least it's not cold...it's in the 70's out there so our chickies aren't chilled
big_smile.png

My run is covered with a tarp during the rainy season,late September - early June
lol.png
But, there are times when it rains so heavily that we still get puddles in there. The chickens LOVE it when that happens.

You may want to put in a couple of boards on short stilts for your land lover silkies if the rain is going to continue for a few more days.

Back
Top Bottom