Rain/water logged!!

MummaFluffles

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2015
STRATFORD NSW Australia
We have a large outdoor run and its been scratched down to the dirt. My chooks have a roosting coop but not big enough to "live" in. Its been raining for 3 days now (almost flooding) and we have another few days of rain forecast. Their run is mud already and I've had to move their food into the coop to keep it dry. (Which also worries me about contamination from droppings)

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for avoiding the swamp in the run?
Granted the run wasnt planned as we needed it built in a hurry so nothing was planned flooring wise.
Would a layer of straw or something to soak up the water help? Im trying to avoid mould and mildew building up.

Last edited:
I have the same problem my allotment is like a swamp the hens nd the cock is locked up inside the hut till i have installed some drainage piping round the sides and through the middle covered with membrain (weed control fabric) allows only water through and couple bags of gravel on and around the pipe work then cover back over with 4 inchs of top soil then compac it down.

I also have a very small coop, intended only for roosting, and am anticipating this problem as we are expecting a wet month and I have clay soil that drains very slowly and poorly. I have a tarp over my run, which so far has kept most of the run, except the edges, very dry. I put down a thick layer of straw, not to absorb water, but to ensure that the chickens have something other than muck to stand on. So far, so good. I know mold is a possibility, but from advise from others on this site and from talking to folks at local feed stores, I have come to the conclusion that straw is probably my best option. I have no access to pine needles where I live, so that really isn't an option for me.

I also have a very small coop, intended only for roosting, and am anticipating this problem as we are expecting a wet month and I have clay soil that drains very slowly and poorly. I have a tarp over my run, which so far has kept most of the run, except the edges, very dry. I put down a thick layer of straw, not to absorb water, but to ensure that the chickens have something other than muck to stand on. So far, so good. I know mold is a possibility, but from advise from others on this site and from talking to folks at local feed stores, I have come to the conclusion that straw is probably my best option. I have no access to pine needles where I live, so that really isn't an option for me.
turn your area over were the coop is and add gravel to the clay it opens the clay up and lets water run thro with no problems or add a drainage pipe in the coop area

My soil here has a LOT of clay in it too so its just sludge.
Not sure where i can get pine needles from around here....atleast, find enough to cover the run.
I can definitely try the straw idea though, thankyou. Would sugar cane mulch be good enough though?

Also, i need to be careful that grass is capable of growing back at some stage as we rent this property and if we ever leave they want the yard left as we found it...haha even though they agreed to let us have chickens

My soil here has a LOT of clay in it too so its just sludge.
Not sure where i can get pine needles from around here....atleast, find enough to cover the run.
I can definitely try the straw idea though, thankyou. Would sugar cane mulch be good enough though?

Also, i need to be careful that grass is capable of growing back at some stage as we rent this property and if we ever leave they want the yard left as we found it...haha even though they agreed to let us have chickens
Any dryish plant material can help as long as it doesn't get slimy.

Have no idea what sugar cane mulch is like.

Oh! What about wood chips? Would that be suitable?? I have a stack of wood chips someone has offered me, but would that be suitable?

Best thing you could ever have....pile them in there very deep and you'll see how much things change, now and down the road. Keep that run covered with the wood chips, avoid using things that are all one particle size and you can add just about anything in layers. All year round you can toss weed trimmings, twigs, leaves, etc. as long as you have a good mix of materials to break up the litter and let air into the pack.

You need never clean that out, just keep adding to it and you'll notice some really good things happening.

Back
Top Bottom