Rainbow Flock for First-timer - picture heavy

MiniIndyRanch

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
I have had chickens for less than a year and decided, when getting into this, to try one each of several varieties to pick a favorite. So now, almost a year later, I have already added 4 more to my original group and have made some observations (read: picking favorites) on the breeds I selected. I'm just curious what others with Rainbow Flocks have decided about their girls/boys???

The Big Girls, hatched mid-April 2016, ranked in order of would i buy again at the top and probably not at the bottom:

Speckled Sussex - personalty-wise, Martha is my favorite of the original 7! She is bold, independent and always wandering off by herself but the first one to come running to me when she spots me in the yard! First one to lay an egg!
Buff Orpington - definitely docile and sweet, but always feels entitled to whatever is in my hand without waiting for an offer! Has been laying fairly consistently all fall/winter.
Rhode Island Red - I was worried about this one as I had read that they can be really bossy/mean in a mixed flock. Rita is far from bossy or mean! She is actually pretty easy going and would rank in the middle of the pecking order. She has been a reliable layer as well.
Gold Laced Wyandotte - Absolutely stunning plumage, but she acts like she knows it! You'd swear there was nobility in her blood and think I was forcing her to interact with peasants. Funny to watch, but I would love it if Eleanor were friendlier, I got my first semi-squat this morning and I'm pretty sure as soon as she realized it was "just" me she corrected herself and stopped! Is just now laying eggs
Barred Rock - She is the "substitute" rooster of the group. Prudence is the neighborhood watch lady, police officer, and school principal all rolled into one. Not my fave, but have to appreciate her efforts.Decent layer.
Swedish Flower Hen - my mom says that she always looks angry. I think that sums her up nicely and probably doesn't have much do with the fact that my mother divorced my Swedish father? I have no idea if she has laid any eggs yet...
Buff Laced Polish - named Lucy, called Poofhead. She was an accident and I'll never get another Polish. She is great fun to watch, and photograph, but I swear she is ringing the hawk's dinner-bell every time she loses the group and runs in circles squawking until she sees them again... Not a single egg yet and bottom of the pecking order due to her sheer ridiculousness.

The Littles, hatched 11/29/16:

I can't rank these girls yet since they aren't producing eggs, but the personalities are definitely there:

Australorp - insanely chill, bottom of the pecking order among the Littles. She is going to be really pretty!
Golden Cuckoo Marans - A bit skittish so far, could have to do with the Mean Girls below...
Easter Eggers - These two are bullies. Gorgeous "On Wednesdays we wear pink"-type bullies. They better lay beautiful eggs too!

***please know that I completely understand every chicken is unique and I am not presumptuous enough to say all birds from one breed would be exactly like mine.

I keep many breeds too, I have a few more than 80 birds so I can't go into describing all of them, there's probably about 25 different breeds and varieties in my flocks and a few mixed breeds. I do know each one and it's personality. I can't imagine a flock of just one or two breeds. My favorite breeds I will keep multiples of and will get more every time I order more. Glad you are enjoying your flock.

My current flock consists of 7 birds and 5 different breeds. I have,

3 Amber-Link hens

1 White Leghorn heh

1 Olive Egger pullet

1 Buff Brahma pullet

1 Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington cockerel.

I used to own a Blue Copper Marans hen, Black Copper Marans rooster, Buff Brahma ( cockerel?) and 2 other white leghorns both pullets. I lost all of them except my Blue Copper to predators. :/

I hope in a few months I can add a Blue Copper Marans pullet and a Salmon Faverolle pullet. All my hens and pullets lay. I get a variety of dark brown, light brown, white, and green eggs every day. It's really hard for me to pick a favorite because I love so many different things about them. I guess I'd say my favorite is my Buff Brahma pullet Annika. She's really friendly and sweet and she's a cuddler.

Last edited:
I have at different times, thought 'this is the breed...I will go with' only to really find I like a mixed flock best. I do love BO and EE's. I have had good luck with them, with my top rooster ever being an EE. Butter, (both of them) raised several clutches of eggs and chicks for me. I have had BA, but really did not care for them, or barred rocks. To each their own! it is a fun hobby.

MRs k

I have a mixed flock too and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Right now I have:

1 Barred Rock
2 Black Australorps
3 Buff Orpingtons
2 Easter Eggers

And I've been thinking about adding some more chickens or possibly even some ducks.

I have a mixed flock too and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Right now I have:

1 Barred Rock
2 Black Australorps
3 Buff Orpingtons
2 Easter Eggers

And I've been thinking about adding some more chickens or possibly even some ducks.
I completely agree! I can't imagine having a flock of only one or two breeds, the "rainbow" is just so pretty to look at! But I think it is the cause of my addition/chicken math problem - there are so many more breeds that I want to try, not to mention bantams!

I completely agree! I can't imagine having a flock of only one or two breeds, the "rainbow" is just so pretty to look at!  But I think it is the cause of my addition/chicken math problem - there are so many more breeds that I want to try, not to mention bantams!

Yes, same here! I love the variety! So much so that even the 3 Orpingtons is a little boring lol I love them though. But oh yes, same here! I still have loads of breeds I want!

Back
Top Bottom