Rainy, rainy day... laying question

Ginger Chic

Songster
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Northeast Georgia
It has rained steady all day. I came home during lunch to open the coop and let the ladies have their freedom. I picked up 1 egg then nothing since... They've just been out playing in the wet. We've only had these (2 RIR, 2 Dom & 2 Sex Link (?)) chickens for about a week and a half, but are up to about 3 eggs per day. Does the rain do something to distract them from laying, or is it just an oddity that my ladies have more fun playing in the rain than they do laying?

Last edited:
Chickens will lay 1 egg per day usually until they have gathered a "clutch" of eggs. At that point they skip a day & reset. A typical clutch is between 6 to 10 eggs. So you should expect your hens to skip a day every week or so.

The rain doesn't have anything to do with the egg laying, but the number of daylight hours will. As we get into fall depending on the type of chicken & where you live they may stop laying until spring.

Most birds known for eggs though will go right on through winter.

Hope this helps.

I live in Covington, Georgia and this my chickens first real experience with an all day rain. They are 18 weeks old and it has only rained once since they went outside about 10 weeks ago. We are in a drought. Anyway, they were not happy. They came out this morning and then spent the day under the coop to try to stay dry. They had gone back in when I went out a few minutes ago. They complained all day long about the rain. I hope they will be ok and won't get sick from all of the wet.

Here in SC, it started raining around lunchtime. I figured I'd come home and find all the birds in the coop, but they were all out playing in the rain. Looked like they had a good time...

Quote:
That is normal for them to either go inside the coop or under the coop for protection from the rain . I leave my pop hole door open 24/7 and they come and go as the choose .
Daybreak and they start exiting out , and you can watch them , in late afternoon , they start looking up at the sky as to say , ALMOST time to go in . and they go in one by one . FOLLOW THE LEADER . lol

Rain will NOT bother them at all . BUT , I can clean out and replenish the coops with fresh pine shavings and they notice its different , they skip a day or two from laying . LOL

D.gif
jumpy.gif
:aww
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom