Rainy weather ... No Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GHFarmGirl, Oct 17, 2014.

1. GHFarmGirl

GHFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2014
    Mills River, NC
    I'm a new chicken owner. Our first hen to lay is a New Hampshire Red. She has been laying a egg a day 7/8 days. This week is stormed for 4 days without sunshine. She hasn't laid an egg for 2 days now. Is that normal? Her behavior hasn't changed and her appetite is the same.

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Ya it's normal. Chickens require light to lay, so if she isn't getting any, she won't lay.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    4 days of rain is not enough lack of light to stop laying. Tho if you are not using supplemental lighting during these lengthening nights, it could effect even new layers.

If she's only been laying for 7 or 8 days, then she is still working on getting her system in line, not unusual to miss a few days during the first month or so of laying.

If the bad weather has kept the birds cooped up and they don't have enough space, then the stress of crowded housing could also be a factor.

4. chickenlover09

Jul 17, 2014
    aart- I know i'm not the person who originally asked the question, but how long should you generally wait when a chicken starts laying to actually eat the eggs?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I eat them from the very first one...no reason to wait.

6. chickenlover09

Jul 17, 2014
    Okay thanks. I read somewhere that you should wait a week...

7. GHFarmGirl

GHFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2014
    Mills River, NC
    Ya it's normal. Chickens require light to lay, so if she isn't getting any, she won't lay.
    [/quote
    She laid one today. Guess I had nothing to worry about. Having chickens is like being a new mom all over again! [​IMG]

8. chickenlover09

Jul 17, 2014
    haha:)

9. Nofowlplay

Nofowlplay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2013
    In the backyard
    Need advice......my SS has stopped laying eggs. She has a bout of sour crop and laid 2 after that. But it's been a month. We have has a lot of overcast days and rain recently. She has good food, calcium, plenty of room. nice red comb and free range time treats. She eats well. What could be going on? The other 2 girls are laying and the 4th girl is broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by